2/22/12

Weighty Wednesday -- Ash Wednesday

Total weight loss -- 41.4 lbs!

As I seem to be prone to mentioning, my weight loss has been very plateau-y over the last 4-5 months. It's almost as if I'm practicing the maintenance aspect of the Weight Watcher program. Gain a little, lose a little, lose a little more, gain most of the loss back, and so on and so forth. Okay--I got it now. Let's move on to the last few stinking pounds that I need to lose!

We're only talking about 5.8 lbs, yanno!

I've come up with virtually every excuse under the sun as to why I'm stalled. I KNOW why. It's just forcing myself to recommit to the program.

And now, I must be thankful for this religious time of year--today is Ash Wednesday, the start of the  Lenten season. Ash Wednesday starts the forty days until Easter Sunday--the forty days that Jesus fasted while in the wilderness.

But if you really want to fast for forty days, I'd suggest you sign up for Survivor instead.

Many western religions use this time to strengthen their belief in God through various forms of penance, prayer, repentance, and self-denial. Every Friday is a day of fasting, though that's changed to abstinence from eating meat.

I will say how very thankful I am for my observance during this Lenten season, because it will allow me to focus and become a better person through prayer and self-denial. Though many people will keep their vows to themselves, I'm going to be open about my observance.

I plan to give up two luxury items that have caused me to stumble during my Weight Watcher journey--alcoholic beverages (wine, Bailey's and the occasional margaritas) and desserts (pretty much anything sweet, including candy, cookies, scoops of peanut butter, etc). It will take prayer and dedication to see me over the hump of the first few days, but I'll do it.

As I write this blog, it's Fat Tuesday, and many people will be living their last hurrah before Lent. I won't be one of them--living in Oklahoma, we don't really celebrate Fat Tuesday--so I don't think I'll be missing anything. Instead, I'll be working in the yard enjoying nature all she has to offer.

Though this might not be the blog you were looking for today, think about how you can make good choices that will have a trickle down effect. Choosing to eat healthy, will show your children that you take their health seriously. Oh, they'll grump and groan, but you might be surprised.

Last Friday, I roasted brussel sprouts. I ate them. Hubby ate two servings of them. And the kidlet ate a few. Now, I've been BANNED from ever roasting brussel sprouts in the house again (due to the stench!), but it did get the family to try something new and different.

Later, Peeps! And remember the reason for the season!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on sticking it out and learning what works for you. It may take a while, but those 5 pounds WILL come off, and you'll be Superwoman for achieving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Marilyn! Other than being cold all the time, I'm really enjoying all this energy that I have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your weight loss is wonderful. I know you can pull out those last few pounds.

    I think brussell sprouts and broccoli leave a BIG stench in the air after cooking. I get it.

    I am also on the weight watchers journey and have found that just changing my eating habits are not enough. If I don't get to the classes at the gym I maintain all week. My goal is to get to at least 4 classes a week. In the process of this goal I injured my hamstring and my knee. *sigh* It's a work in progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, Erika! I used to take classes all the time, but then I started disliking going to the gym. A couple of years ago, a friend helped me start jogging, that lasted until I managed to pull a groin muscle, irritate my bursitis and aggravate a gimpy ankle. I stopped jogging.

    When I joined WW, I vowed to walk. And that is all I do. I think that's why I've lost the weight.

    Keep me updated on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have one of those mini-trampolines and an exercise video to go along with it. It was actually FUN and totally low-impact on all the joints.

    Whatever exercise program you pick, it's gotta be something you enjoy doing or you won't keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.