My sister Susan, requested this recipe. I intended to copy paste and send it to her, but discovered it wasn't in my documents! Yikes!
So, here it is!
Mom’s Potato Casserole
12 medium russet potatoes (4 lbs.), peeled and cubed
½ cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature, cut into pieces
8 oz. sour cream, room temperature
2 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. paprika
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Boil potatoes, drain, then mash.
Melt butter in same pan that boiled potatoes over low heat. Add cream cheese. Remove pan from heat. Beat with wooden spoon until mixture is smooth. Add mashed potatoes to butter mixture. Add sour cream, salt and pepper. Beat until smooth. Taste for flavor.
Spread evenly in greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish (I use a glass Pyrex pan) or any other shallow 2.5-quart casserole pan. Sprinkle with paprika.
Bake at 350 for 35 min.
Tips & Tricks:
· Cube potatoes to the same size. If the potatoes are smaller, they will cook more evenly and quicker.
· Instead of just mashing, use a potato ricer (like a sieve with small holes the potato is squished through).
· Have the cream cheese and sour cream at room temperature. It will incorporate with the hot potatoes better and smoother.
· Sometimes I use white pepper instead of black pepper as it seems to be a bit more ‘peppery bite’ and you don’t have the black specks dotting the potatoes.
· Can be made ahead and refrigerated. Take potatoes out of refrigerator 2+ hours prior to baking.
· When they have been refrigerated, place pan in cold oven so the glass pan will slowly heat up along with the potatoes.