2/22/10

'Symbolism'

Why is it that every college lit teacher insists upon finding 'symbolism' in every single story?

Is there some book they must follow and teach this concept to every freshman out there? AND why must the teacher's interpretation be the right one? Can't an individual decide what something means to him and not be lead by a nose ring just because this person is the teacher?
Why couldn't the author just simply want to write a good/funny/emotional/etc. story without someone dissecting it to death?

It's been . . . *sigh* . . . decades since I took freshmen lit, but I still ponder why my teacher felt there was a 'message' in Herman Melville's Billy Budd. I didn't get it. Still don't. Personally, I'd be laughing in my grave if anyone thought there was any special symbolism in my stories--if it's there, then it's purely by accident.

Not everything you read is meant to be deep. Some books are simply for escapism. To live in the moment of another character's shoes. To enjoy life vicariously through a character. To transport to another time or place, worldly or unworldly.

To enjoy.

I suppose this is why I've never belonged to book clubs.

Write on!

10 comments:

  1. I think the best symbolism is used unconsciously and comes from the character and the story. I can't remember if it was Michael Hauge or Blake Snyder who said if you set out to use symbolism, you're likely to overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, Edie.

    But why do English lit teachers insist what they say is symbolic has to be symbolic? Probably one of the best English teachers I had was in the 7th grade. He made us think about symbolism in a story and how we felt about it. He didn't insist that his interpretation was the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like books for the escapism. That's why I read. Usually. Once in a while I'll read a book to learn something, but I prefer to be taken away to someplace else. :)

    I never look for symbolism in books. Songs, sometimes. I'm with you, let's just enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! I think the only thing more boring than reading a book that's heavy with symbolism is listening to the author talk about it. I don't look symbolism, don't try to incorporate it. I've managed a time or two by mistake, but never on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm an escapist reader, too, Ash. I feel the same about movies--don't make me stinkin' cry! I want to get AWAY from reality, not have it shoved in my kisser! :-)
    Maybe that's why I'm reading I, FREDDY a middle grade story about a hamster. Yeah. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Marilyn--She Of The 70+ Published Novels!
    I prefer the 'accidental' symbolism myself. :-) It's those times when you know your subconscious is working a wee bit overtime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read for escapism. That's it. I didn't take English lit so I cannot relate to what you are saying but I believe it. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Monday to you too, Erica!
    *sigh* I love my escapism. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think sometimes the reader will see things that the author didn't mean but works well for the symbolism.

    what brought up this topic today?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wrote this blog last week, Cyndi. For some reason, this topic had been bothering me. Symbolism is usually a mechanism used by literary fiction writers, but it is present in other genres (Tolkien leaps to mind), but very little in romance and I just wondered about it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.