6/12/09

Start with the Devil, End with the Star

As you all might or might not know, I started drawing a daily Tarot card. Originally it was to research a character in a romantic suspense, but then I used it to make certain I documented my writing progress as it forces me to pull up my computer calender and write my card down.

I also use this calender to document my monthly goals. Sometimes their big, other times small. During the summer, my goals are usually small: edit, write query letters, judge contests. In other words, stuff I can walk away from without it blowing my brain pan to smithereens.

So on Monday, I drew the Devil. Probably the worse card in the freakin' deck other than The Tower. The Devil represents negativity and hopelessness. And yes, I was feeling the green monster this week. One, it ticked me off that I felt that way about a friend's excitement and success. Two, I read through my MG novel and couldn't believe I thought such dreck could actually be my first published novel. I always have the same hope for each of my novels and I always have my hopes smashed to smithereens. So needless to say I still have low hopes right now, and all the cheerleading friends in the world won't help me get out of this funk.

I'll have to work it out on my own.

Today I drew The Star, hope and inspiration, and the complete opposite of the Devil. The Star doesn't offer practical help, but it does make you realize that life isn't so dark.

I must have been feeling a little more sure of myself yesterday, because I worked on my query for MOGG, my middle grade novel. Of course in true Margaret fashion, I put the cart before the horse and submitted my query to Query Shark. I don't know if it will make it onto the blog and if it does I fully expect it to be cut to shreds, because it is totally different from the normal query. I have a tough skin. I'm used to it.

If I'm opening up myself for public ridicule, I might as well give my friends first heckle. Here is my query:

My garden gnome went missing. It’s your basic pudgy gnome with a white beard and red pointy cap about twelve inches tall made out of some sort of hard stuff. Walking away was out of the question. Statues don’t walk. I can’t imagine someone stealing it, ‘cause who in their right mind would drive to Nowheresville, Oklahoma to steal a gnome?
So I decided to look for it.
What I didn’t expect to find was a real live gnome named Rory Leafhopper.
Go figure.
My name is Rhiannon Webber, just call me Rhee. It seems that the gnome wanted my help to figure out what happened to all the local mythical creatures. It was summer. School was out. We lived in the country. No cable and stinky TV reception. Add those four sentences together and you get one excruciatingly bored eleven year old girl. Plus the adventure would get me out of Mom’s hair for awhile. I’m game.
It wasn’t until I overheard my mom talking that I discovered I’m adopted and a half-blood, too. Half-blood what I didn’t have a clue. Maybe that was why I could see the gnome. Talk about a shock. I hoped Rory could tell me about being an adopted half-blood when old Mrs. Finch’s cat, Mr. Bickles snatched him.
Now, I have to rescue the gnome. What else could possibly go wrong?
MISSING: One Garden Gnome is a middle grade novel complete at 45,000 words. I would be happy to submit the manuscript and synopsis per your request. Thank you for taking the time to consider my story.
Sincerely,
Wannabe Author


Oh, for all the possible boo-boos in this query, it does one thing and it does it well.

It shows voice.

Write on!

22 comments:

  1. I love it!! I think its a great query. This coming from someone who doesn't know much about queries, but nonetheless, I like it. And you're right. It shows your voice and I think that's what we all want.

    And toss the funks-although I understand them. I've had them often enough.

    But somehow we always pick ourselves up, don't we? Wether we do it on our own or a friend helps. Hell, you've helped me out sooo much-- I'm there to do the same. :)

    *hugs* I think this is YOUR story. Go for it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kira. I have to get my $hit together this week so I can forge through my edits next week. Rachel is at soccer camp, so with a timer at my desk I'll be keeping my head down as I tweak and edit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the query! Sounds like a fun book. You're braver than I am to send it to her.

    I think you're being hard on yourself about your book. I'll get that way sometimes, look at my book and think it's crap. The next time I read it, I think it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Edie! I've learned a lot from Miss Snark and Evil Editor over the years--yes, I've submitted my queries to them for query help over the years. :-) I'd rather find out that I'm on the wrong track before I get a bunch of rejections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!!! what's that cute new 'do I see in your photo???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, new do. I let my stylist have at it. Its short in the back, poofy at the crown with the front longer around my jaw.
    I'm still trying to get a good picture, so I might be trying new ones on for size.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very cute!

    But don't ask my opinion on good photos, you can see what I picked for MY profile......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just keep in mind, Magolla, that most agents whose blogs I've follow and whose query guides I've looked at dislike hearing "from the character" in the query.

    I think you can convey the same message as yourself.

    I do like it the way it is, but I would be wary of what agents and editors are looking for. :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Weronika!

    I checked out your blog--good luck on your new story. I had two really good weeks at the end of May, hitting 3-3.5 K daily. My brain turned to mush by the time I wrote the last sentence. Now, its clean-up time.

    In answer to your blog comment: Yeah, I know agents have mixed feelings about this, and usually don't care for it, but this is my first foray into the MG world and I thought I'd give it a shot. I tried something similar with my leprechaun story--Evil Editor hated it, but Rachel Vater loved it, which is why I'm submitting it to Query Shark before I really start to send out queries.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In a selfless display of solidarity, I have jumped on the "public ridicule" bandwagon with you. I've submitted a logline to a contest. Bear in mind that I am (a) not really a writer in the same sense that y'all are and (b) was unfamiliar with loglines before reading one of your blogs. But I thought the logline was funny and the concept original, so I paid my twenty bucks and entered.

    Let the humiliation begin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the haircut. VERY flattering.

    You never know what will hit or miss with an editor. But you're hard work has been an inspiration to me. I entered the Desire Logline contest.

    thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome Jody!
    . . . but where's the logline?
    More info, please.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Cyndi!
    This cut is a lot simplier than my previous 'do.
    Glad to be of help on your logline! You've had some great lines for Nocturn and now Desire. I can only guess that they're just missing by not being quite what the editors are looking for.
    Good luck to both you and Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No cheerleading from me, Margaret, but maybe a smack upside the head. We all think we're writing crap at one time or another, so you're allowed that. Just get over it and get on with editing. You've got more books to write.

    I have practically zero experience querying (which will change soon -- did I tell you I finally left my agent??) -- but I've heard that they really want to hear your voice, which yours certainly shows.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Margie,
    I think I put the logline way back in a comment many blogs ago, but here it is:

    "Traumatized after the Syndicates reject her comic strip, a redheaded, menopausal cartoonist is transported into the comic strip world, where she hunts down and eliminates her fictional 'competitors,' one by one...."

    I don't know if this will come out as a link or not, but the contest I entered is here:
    http://www.filmmakers.com/contests/short/logline.htm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Mar--OW! *holds head after being whacked by Marilyn* Damn, woman, have you been working out?! Oh, yeah, I forgot, I need to call you 'Chainsaw' now, don't I?

    I'm in serious edit mode this week and want to get my first pass through so I can send it to my beta readers-- so get ready to read!

    No, *gasps* I didn't hear that you left your agent! Wow. But, you know, this is JMHO . . . they've been screwing you over for awhile and I think you can negotiate your contracts yourself without losing 15% to them. Good luck querying. I wonder how a published author would go about querying? I would guess your books would speak for themselves. OH! OH! OH! now you can try to sell your witch stories, unless your previous agent already exhausted that route.

    Good luck, Marilyn! I'd offer to look at your query, but all I have from my numerous queries of numerous manuscripts are rejections, so I don't think I could be any help! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd forgotten about that, Jody!
    Good Luck! And let us know when you win!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep, I'm officially a free woman the middle of next month. I've been checking out some agents, but haven't even decided when I'll query someone. I have decided to keep my categories to myself -- you're right -- no need to pay 15% for something I've done in the past and can just as easily do again.

    I do want to do something with the witch stories. And I've got another series started that's kind of a cross between romance and women's fiction -- sort of like the Bethlehem books without the angels and with more focus on the women.

    I'm looking forward to seeing MOGG, especially after the query. It sounds too cute.

    Marilyn, Mistress of the Chainsaw :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Mistress of the Chainsaw,

    Don't forget to harangue your old agent for the documentation about your witch stories, and any other stories she failed to sell: Who was queried, when it was queried, etc.

    A Concerned Friend who reads A LOT of agent blogs and suspects you need to have this info.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good advice! I hadn't thought about that, but I will send a request for the info. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Margaret, i LOVE the query. send it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.