4/13/09

Lagniappe

Cajun for a 'little of dis and dat'. Of course I couldn't verify the spelling since my dictionary is too old. *note to self: buy new addition of dictionary*

This was a pretty good week for me. I won two books off two different blogs! The first one was Highland Warrior by Monica McCarthy off the Magical Musings blog. And the second book was Tempt the Devil by Anna Campbell on Romance Bandits. I think this makes my fifth or sixth book that I've won since January, plus I won a beautiful necklace on Jennifer Lyon's blog earlier this year. Free books=good.

I hope everyone had a marvelous Easter weekend. It was looonnng and busy, starting bright and early on Good Friday. Took kiddo to eye doctor appt. She went in August, but her eyesight is getting worse--cursed that she is by two sets of poor genetics. But the high point is she will get fitted with contacts this week. Did you know they let 8yo's wear contacts? Doc said he preferred kids to be at least 12, but he went ahead and measured her anyway. Then down to the Philbrook Art Museum to see three of Grandma's Americana paintings in their juried art show. The last day is Tuesday. We picked up the hubster and ate lunch at Los Cabos and off to Kohl's to buy the kiddo an Easter dress. Yeah, yeah, we waited, but at least we already picked up her First Communion dress, only three weeks away. Drove home in time to pack the kiddo's bag for an overnight stay at Grandma's while hubster and I enjoyed my Christmas present--THE NICKELBACK CONCERT!!! First concert I've been to in ages--and it was GREAT!! Saving Able kicked it off at seven, with Seether performing at 8ish, and Nickelback went on at 9. They did a wonderful two hour performance--and no one sat. Got home around midnight was too wired to sleep, I think it was about two-thirty when I closed my eyes. . .

only to open them at 6 AM on Holy Saturday. Who on earth schedules soccer games at 8:30 on Easter weekend?! Had to leave the house at 7:30 to pick the kiddo up to get her to the game field by 8:00. The other team only had 3 players, AND someone forgot to schedule us a ref. *sigh* Almost a forfeit or reschedule. . . "NOOOO!" she wails. Coach scrounged up an off-duty ref AND we let the the other team to use one of the girls little brother's as players, plus coach made each of our girls touch the ball before they were allowed to score. Yep, they had to kick it back to our own goal so the defender could touch the ball. :-) Then home for a quick change of clothes to go to a cousin's birthday party at Chuckie Cheese. THAT was two hours of my life I will never get back. Home again to make Easter dessert, finish the laundry I started on Friday, and cook dinner.


Kiddo and Hubster worked on the yard, but hubster wouldn't let me post the pic of kiddo showing her 'plumber's butt' while picking up doggie poo (and there was a LOT of poo!), said it would warp her for life if it got on the net. :-)

Here are the bunny butt cupcakes we made for Easter.


Got it out of a cookbook called Hello, Cupcake! I can't wait until Halloween and I can make the werewolves!

It's hard to tell, but the grass is piped with two colors. And Saturday night we did kick back for dinner with some beef and barley soup. I read (of course) while hubster and kiddo played Mario Galaxy on the Wii.

Easter Sunday arrived. . . a dank and gloomy morning. Kiddo woke up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to search for her Easter basket, and hubster made banana pancakes--Yum! Oh, and I had my first cup of joe in forty days! Yay! I gave up coffee for Lent, not because I wanted to, but because the kiddo asked me. We attended mass bright and early, 8:30. Hm, notice a pattern here? We tried to beat the only-church-twice-a-year crowd and did a decent job of it. Maybe it was the torrential rain that kept some of them away. I really don't want to complain about church, but I will and probably will get struck down in the process--watch out for lightning!. We have a priest that it is perfectly clear that English is NOT his first language, and he almost always does the early mass. Uh, something gets lost in translation when you can't understand what he's saying--It's sad especially when you know what the topic is about! Home again to watch Scooby Doo and the Samauri Sword (I read) until it was time to go to Grandma's house. Three hours later, we are home doing a quick house cleaning. . . what? Y'all don't do that on Easter? All I can say is Rocky, the guinea pig, appreciated his clean home, plus the parsley and a carrot. More Mario Galaxy, reading, and eating candy. Hubster wanted pizza for dinner. Well, it was too late for me to make dough, so we called a couple of pizza places. No one answered. Uh, duh, Easter. Yeah, we were still on our sugar high and weren't thinking clearly. So he went to the store and bought the ingredients--we ate late as we watched the Amazing Race!

Today, everything is back to 'normal'. Hubster is going to work. Kiddo is going to school. And I get to start of the mountain of laundry. I WILL make time to write today. I've been blowing it off and need to give myself a deadline.

Write on!



9 comments:

  1. And I thought my easter weekend was busy! WOW you were crazy busy.
    Did you know Deanna and Jaci Burton were at the Nickelback too? They said they had a blast!! My daughter wanted to go, but that girl has been to 5 concerts in the last 6 months.
    And I hear ya on the writing thing. I have SO much to do this week, but I plan to WRITE at least once this week. :) ^5
    Ashlynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ash!
    I loved the way they advertised the Nickelback concert as 'family friendly'. Uh, only if your family has a tendency of dropping F-bombs every couple of minutes! :) We did see a family a couple rows in front of us--dad was showing the boys (@ 10-12 yo) how to do the rock and roll hand sign. Too cute.
    Writing-wise, try writing 100 words a day. Shoot, some days I have sentences that are THAT wordy. AND my answer here is roughly 100 words long. Very doable. Maybe we could force each other to be honest about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you do it all!

    Beautiful cupcakes! I've done some cake decorating, so I know how much work they were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought my weekend was busy, too! It was a good one, and I did get some writing in. :)

    All these winnings must be because it's YOUR LUCKY YEAR! Or else you comment on a lot of blogs. lol I hope it's the first choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Jen! Let's see. *tapping side of head with finger* How do I do it? Well, weekends are the family's time. No discussion. During the week, I work out and become errand girl and chauffeur mom. When I worked at the hospital I was far more organized than I am now, I need to revert to that mindset again to get into a good writing habit.
    Next time you're at the bookstore take a look in that book--it's amazing! The bunny feet were supposed to be white cirus peanuts, but the only place we found them on the internet required you to buy in bulk. I made white chocolate feet instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edie!
    Sad to say that I think my answer is 'B'--spends far too much time commenting on blogs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your domestic commitment. I couldn't survive a pace like that! I've worked for years to make my life as low key and uncomplicated as possible (of course, not having a husband or child is a big help there). You did more over the weekend than I do in a month!

    Speaking of laundry....I think I hear it climbing out of the basket in the closet. When it starts venturing into my living space it's time to knock it down a bit. Sometimes I can just frighten it back into the basket. Usually I have to actually wash it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jody!
    Being single is a much simpler lifestyle--I still remember those days! You don't have anyone but yourself to answer to. :-)
    And when the laundry doesn't pass the 'sniff' test, it's time to toss it in the washer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The problem with HORSE laundry is, it often doesn't pass the sniff test even when it's freshly laundered....but some of of like eau de horse.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.