4/20/09

Contest Results

are in for the Fab Five!


Uh, no, I didn't final with Demon Within, but I had some great feedback. Actually, I'm surprised I didn't delete the email. I've been spammed a lot recently and didn't recognize the sender with attachments, too. And all that was in the subject line was 'Fab Five', not 'Fab Five contest'. For all I knew it could have been some new weight-loss supplement, Canadian pharmaceutical, or new penile implant.


Basically, I placed eleventh out of twenty-four, but the finalist's scores ranged from a 57, out of 60, to 55. I scored an average of 53.5. Not too shabby for a new story that no one has seen or critted. My scores were 55, 52, and 44. Guess who scored the 44?--an RWA Pro (Pro is a designation within RWA of a writer who finished a manuscript and is actively shopping it around). In general, unpublished writers tend to be stingier with their scoring. But the lowest score is dropped so it doesn't really matter. And I wouldn't have finaled anyway even if she'd scored me higher.


But this blog isn't about not finaling, or horrible contest judges, or crappy score sheets, or judges who score low but don't comment. Those topics are fodder for another blog on another day.


This blog is about how this contest and judges did it all RIGHT.


Yep, I HEART this contest. Why?


1) the score sheets were straight forward and fairly generic, which was why I entered this contest in the first place. This story isn't a romance. So I didn't get dinged for not having the hero or heroine meet in the first few pages. The questions were very open-ended which allow the judges to evaluate the entry based on merit and not some preset criteria.


2) Simple scoring system--ten points per question, six questions: opening, characterization, plot, dialogue, setting, and style. There are some guideline questions under each header for the judges to follow, but only one score per question.


3) Three judges, one dropped score. Built in discrepancy judging. The contest can keep to it's preset timeline. Oh, I'm sure there is still the rogue judge or two, but I bet they kept it to a minimum. And when you have to use a discrepancy judge it's usually AFTER the deadline, increasing your timeline.


4) Mixture of judges. Most contests shoot for one published author per entry, but it doesn't always happen. I'm pleased that the judges marked their published/non published status. I had published in romance, published in other, and PRO.


5) All the judges commented. For those of us who enter contest, you know this is a freakin' rarity! Most contests require the judge to comment if they score below a certain number, but many judges don't comment if they score above that preset number.

6) This one is personal to me. All three judges found the same problems with the manuscript. Now, remember, this story hasn't been looked at by anyone. I had totally rewritten it after I got a two page rejection from Deb Dixon and I wanted some feedback before I continued in this new direction with the story.

I. AM. STOKED.

This doesn't happen very often, but when it does it validates you as a writer. Yes, I still have some issues, but three separate people saw the SAME problems. Repetition and a flashback scene that slowed the pacing. I know how to take care of the flashback. It is needed, but I'll find a better spot for it. And repetition is a common mistake for writers. I'll just take my sharp Kyocera ceramic knife and do a little slicing and dicing!

Kudos to the Fab Five contest! Good Luck to all the finalists!

Write On!

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoy it when contests give comments. Otherwise, you have no idea why they scored you what they did. I am, as we speak, awaiting contests scores for my current work. The finalists were supposed to be notified over the weekend, and I wasn't notified. That doesn't surprise me. Me and contests don't normally get along. I usually get scores on both ends of the spectrum. One will love it, the other, hate it. Which normally only leaves me confused. hehe
    But I'm glad they helped you, Margaret. At least it gives you something to go on. :)
    Ashlynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't final either, and unlike you, I didn't find the comments by two of the finalists helpful. I won't go over it in detail. I'll just say i didn't get lucky in the judge pool. One was incompetent. It made me decide not to bother with contests for awhile.

    OTOH, I judged myself for the contest myself, in a different category. So I don't condemn all judges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Ash, you are talking to the queen of me and contests don't get along! :-) LOL I've had seven years worth of contests where my entery hit of both ends of the spectrum of comments. I think that's why I was so excited to see all three judges having the same negative comments. I can pinpoint what I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer, Edie! When I wrote this blog and mentioned the judges from hell--I was talking about myself. I KNOW I've judged entries that the entrant probably hates my guts and would spit in my face if she knew I judged her entry.
    You've been in this biz long enough to know how subjective contest judging can be. It is what it is. I'm just glad that I was handed three judges (in spite of a wide range of scores) that pinpointed my problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, Margaret! Glad you got some helpful stuff from the contest. I haven't entered a contest in a LONG time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I haven't had time to review all the comments on the manuscript, but I'll fix my issues and then send it your direction for slashing and burning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. Isn't it wonderful when you get helpful feedback? I have some online friends helping me to critique my first MS and they have helped immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Erika! Thanks for visiting. Today I finally read the comments on the manuscript and not just on the score sheets, and it was too funny! One judge commented on virtually every sentence. I'm the kind of gal who needs: repetitive, too much back story, or dump the flashback. If the judge yatters on and on about something I shut down and visit my happy place! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.