4/28/09

Can Writers Still Enjoy Reading?

Jody asked: "Since you are a writer and are accustomed to dissecting your own work, does it affect your enjoyment of reading? Are you able to be a mere reader, or do you find yourself dissecting characters, plots, dialogue, etc etc when you read? Can you just take off your "writer" hat and enjoy?"


The short answer to this question is: Yes, we can still enjoy reading. In fact, many writers are voracious readers. If we want to stay in the game we need to read what is being published in the genre in which we are writing, but we have to take into consideration that these 'current' books were actually bought two years ago.


But I've also found that I'm less tolerant of slow pacing, characters I can't get into, dialogue that causes me to roll my eyes while reading, unrealistic setups or stupid plots. Yep, all those books get published. I used to plow through a book until the story got good, but now I don't have the time, or inclination, to waste on books that don't excite me. And this goes for debut authors as well as multi-published authors. Even big name, NYT best-selling authors write clinker books, BUT they already have a fan base and I doubt if their crappy books will effect their overall sales--unless they keep producing crappy books.

When I discover an author that I enjoy reading, I'm swept away by the story. I put on blinders, and a 'do not disturb' placket is hung around my neck. Do not try to converse with me. Do not ask me questions if you honestly expect answers. Do not expect dinner to get cooked--the phone number for Savastano's pizzeria is on the fridge. LEAVE ME ALONE!

Yep, those are the best books, and I keep them to reread over and over again. I know the hero and heroine are going to get together, or Harry Dresden will survive to be in another book--I reread for the journey, the roller coaster ride.

Does it take more to engage me now that I'm a writer. No, just a damn good story--and it doesn't have to be published. I've fallen in love with unpublished writers when I've judged their entries in a contest. If the story makes me forget I'm reading a story, then the writer has done his/her job and I'm a happy reader.

What do my writing friends think? Please chime in with your opinion!

Oh, I finally finished (it was hard!) my faerie picture book (PB)! YAY! Now, I can finish writing my middle grade novel, while the PB ages like fine Cab. :-)

Write on!

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your picture book! That's a great feeling.

    I'm reading much less since I'm a writer. I'll go to the library, take out 10 or so books, and I feel lucky when I read one of them all the way through. Other times I have a streak where I read one great book after another. Love those times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY on finishing your picture book!

    Writing has changed how I read books. I don't have patience for books that are poorly written, or the dialog is stiff, or the plot is just stupid, or the characters are so unrealistic (or worse, I don't like or care about the characters). I usually give a book about 50 pages. If I can lay it down and walk away and not think about it, I don't finish.

    Now, I've read some books where I had to lay them down to sleep or go somewhere and those characters continued to jabber in her mind, the book setting evoked vivid mental pictures that wouldn't go away...those books I can't wait to get back to!

    I love to get my hands on a book that I just can't set aside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've become extremely picky since I've learned the craft of writing. I have gotten so mad at books I've thrown them against the wall...literally! And they used to be authors I just loved. For me that's the downside of writing.
    But, that being said, when I get sucked into a story, I love it! They are just harder to find. No longer can I read just anything. It makes me wary of buying books unless I know the author. Or someone had recommended it.

    And congrat's, girlie, on finishing your book!! Nothing like writing THE END.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edie--I used to go to the library, now I simply buy the books that interest me! Hm, I need to budget my spending habits.

    Cyndi--I've often wondered if I'm less tolerant of poor writing because I'm a writer or if I'm simply getting old and crotchety. Sometimes it's a toss-up!

    Ash--I so understand the throwing book syndrome! I nearly did it with The Horse Whisperer except a friend loaned it to me. She said it was a romance--uh, heroes don't die by horse trampling in a romance. Yeah, won't trust her recommendations ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to hear your perspectives on this. I write, but I don't try to 'be' a writer, so I am probably more tolerant than y'all (oops, Oklahoma still slips into my speech sometimes). My writing is generally non-fiction in nature (articles, humorous essays and the like) so that's a little different.

    I find I am more intolerant of people's every-day, lazy way of written communication. While it's, like, OMG, I mean, not nearly as annoying as, like, the way some people, like, you know, TALK, (aaarrrggghhhhh) I still find myself irritated by typos, third-grade level grammar errors and misuse of the language.

    I've learned to bite my tongue rather than appoint myself Spelling and Grammar Nazi. But sometimes, I just wanna screeeeaaaammmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margie - I was disappointed in The Horse Whisperer too, but for a different reason - because it turned out to be a romance story and I really wanted it to be a horse story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, Jods, I'm going to have to set you straight on the romance thing. A romance has a happy ending or a happy-for-now scenario by the end of a book.
    It's hard to do that when the 'hero' commits suicide by horse. So that particular book doesn't count as a romance. Now, I'll go with love story, but it isn't a romance.
    It's all about reader expectations. Romance readers expect the hero/heroine to get together in the end, not die. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm far less tolerant. Before I sold my first book, I read 10, 15, 20 books a month -- and I finished every book I ever started. Now, if the writing's sloppy or the plot has holes or the editing is careless, I'll toss it aside. Life's too short to waste on bad books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Margie, I am by no means a writer in the same sense as you are and am the first to admit that I am not familiar with the definitions and requirements of the various genres. "Love story" it is. But I still would have preferred it been a "love story" more about the horse/person connection that the person/person connection. Guess that one's still waiting for ME to write it.

    One thing that will turn me off of a book quickly is if it deals with something I am familiar with (take for example, the horse show world) and the writer CLEARLY hasn't done their homework and paints a very unrealistic picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, Marilyn! I figured I got the idea of 'Life's too short to waste on bad books.' from you!

    I think you might be able to find a horse/human love story in literary fiction or middle grade/tween books, Jody. Horses seem to be a bigger focus in the prepubescent, before boys and cars, and AFTER we've realized boys and cars aren't all they're cracked up to be. ;-) There are tons of horse books that are classics, just not in the adult section of the library.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember reading a lot of the classic horse books when I was a teenager. I'd still enjoy them today. A good story is a good story.

    What I've found quite amazing is, the um 'mature' ladies that I ride with now are WAY more horse crazy and devoted to their steeds than any teen or tween I've ever met!

    Perhaps some day I will try to write a human/horse love story for the adults.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (that last comment was mine....sorry, logged in wrong!)
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jody/Po--go for it. As you said a good story is a good story. I know you are passionate about the subject and our majestic friends, and that will translate when yo write the story.
    My only concern would be that it would be for a niche market (overall fewer sales) unless you could find some sort of spin to put on it, which would open it up to a larger audience. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.