4/27/09

Offing Characters

I commented on my facebook account that I found a way for my elf to get around a dragon without becoming dragon chow. One of my writer buds, Ash I think, wondered why I didn't simply kill the dragon. LOL She knows me too well. As much as I love offing my characters in new and unusual ways, it isn't always to the benefit of the character or story.

Killing the dragon would have been too easy--especially since said dragon was 'sleeping'. Those familiar with dragonlore know they never really 'sleep'. Besides I don't like my characters to find the easy way out. It becomes too deus et machina (I think this is the correct spelling), basically, God willed or intervened. The character doesn't grow or learn if God takes care of every little problem. The character must figure it out on his own and make a decision, whether right or wrong. Sometimes the character needs to make a few wrong decisions before he can make the right choice. Thus the character arc is born.

From 500 word picture books to 100,000 word novels (I've written both), a character must grow within the confines of the story to become more than what he was at the beginning. The path is never straight. Wrong turns are a part of building the character, making the character interesting and unique. Even series characters, Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher leap to mind, grow and arc, during each book and over the course of the series.

Besides I can't kill this dragon. I like him. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW I'll need to kill my babies, but I don't think it would serve a purpose at this time. I need to come up with a draconic name because I see him being in a few more books in the future.

All I need to do is find the time to write this part of the story. Life intervened over the weekend, and I wrote all of 46 words. *sigh* And this week won't be much better, but I'll try my best to write the scene. And then I have to chop my 2,000 word picture book down to 1,000 words.

But for now--Write on!

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're not killing your dragon, at least with this book. I like the way you think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I know you! I think it's your joy in life to off your characters. hehe But I'm glad you found another way around it. You have such a vivid imagination.
    And I know all about life interfering. Happens to me ALOT!
    Just don't give up. :)
    Ashlynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edie! This is my picture book story. I'm forcing my character to make a choice: follow the Queen's dictate by keeping the dragon prisoner, or go against the Queen and free the dragon. Both choices have good and bad consequences. So the question comes down to this: Will my character have enough growth to do the 'right' thing? And which choice is the 'right' one? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya Ash!
    Since life keeps messing with us, why don't we set up a 100 words a day challange. If you get more words--great, but you must do 100 words, and blogs don't count. :-) That rule is more for me than you. I've learned the ways of cheating the system and use them all to procrastinate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 100 words a day. Hmm...I'll accept that challenge.
    I've hit another scene change and another wall. But I'm determined to not let it stop me.
    I'll check in with you tomorrow to see how we did. ;)
    Ashlynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, crap! Now I actually have to write 100 words and I was planning on today being lazy laundry day!
    Okay, okay, I'll get to it. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank goodness I didn't take up the 100 words a day challenge! LOL

    Killing the dragon is too easy and is not a good lesson for kids. Sometimes you can't kill the obstacle in front of you. You have to learn how to deal with problems, go around them, or learn to live with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, dragon lives. And it tests my character. I'll let you read it when I get it polished. Hey, 100 words is easy--I wrote 108 words (@1/3 page) so far today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What variety is your dragon? The red species that breathes fire, or the blue that breathes ice? Or....a zillion other kinds (I am recalling my die-hard Dungeons and Dragons days). Some species are evil, some benevolent. Does it fly? Knowing these things may help suggest an appropriate name. Then again, an unexpected name such as Fluffy is sometimes fun as well.

    I have a general reading/writing question for you as well. Since you are a writer and are accustomed to dissecting your own work, does it affect your enjoyment of reading? Are you able to be a mere reader, or do you find yourself dissecting characters, plots, dialogue, etc etc when you read?
    Can you just take off your "writer" hat and enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning, Jody!

    I found a name on a dragon name generator site that works. :-)

    Anyhoo, you gave me an idea for a blog post on Wednesday with your reading/writer question. And I'll open the floor to some of my writer friends to see if they have the same opinion as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a Dragon name generator site?
    Okay, now I really HAVE heard everything.
    Will look forward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.