1/28/09

Starting Over . . . Again

Scrapping a book is tough, but sometimes a writer has to do it. I'm dumping only about 50 pages, but many authors dump 100-250 pages and start over. I'm lucky in the sense that a small publisher took interest in me. She liked my writing voice in LC though it didn't fit their imprint, and she wanted to see my next endeavor.
I wrote, tweaked and edited a submission and sent it to her. I sensed there was something wrong with it, but I didn't know what. I got a response a few days later, and it wasn't good.
It was all backstory. There's a reason it's called BS, people!
Yeah, when she so kindly pointed out my problem in a two page run down, I knew I had to start over. I find it disturbing that I can spot BS in other people's work, but not my own. I guess I'm just too close to the subject.
Anyhoo, I thought about it and started writing yesterday morning. Now, just because I'm scrapping my beginning doesn't mean I can't use some of my scenes or plotline, I can, though totally rewritten. And I intend to. But what I found interesting is that by simply rewriting the first page I discovered something very important--I discovered the reason for this story.
Oh, I thought I knew what was going on, but one of those simple sentences that I wrote triggered the whole thing to come together in my mind. So I'm off to write--I just had to get the stupid out first.
Don'tcha love it when it all comes together?
Write on!

3 comments:

  1. Another way you can look at it--as your working synopsis. Gotta know the BS before you can tell the rest. Now you've got that out of the way.
    BTW: I've heard Suz Brockmann say she writes either a really, really long synopsis before she begins (80 pages) or a really short first draft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs))

    Now enough moping. Wipe your nose on your sleeve and get writing! :)

    Terry Pritchard writes a LONG synopsis (like 200 pages). It's basically his first draft. Heard the same about Brockman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More hugs. At least now you know what you did and you can fix it. No permanent damage.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.