1/30/09

Getting the Stupid Out aka Backstory

This topic is related to Wednesday's topic. It's an important point that I thought I would hit upon again.
Backstory, whether character or plot, is needed.
Now, now, calm down, don't get your panties in a wad.
Backstory is needed if the author is to write the story well. The reader doesn't need to know the how and why a character does such and such. It isn't needed for the reader, but it is needed for the writer so the writer can craft a character well, making the reader believes the action as reasonable for said character. It is the responsibility of the author to write the scene well enough to make it believable.
The reader doesn't want to read everything about the character up front, he wants to discover it along the road during the story. A good author will dribble little bits of info throughout the story that backs up the character's actions and dialogue.
So, backstory is need, but it should NEVER be in the story except in tiny droplets.
Some writers are what we call pantsers. I'm one of them. I don't write a detailed plot or outline. I know I have to get from point A to point Z in 300 pages. Sometimes I only know of three other points along the way. In other words, I learn about my character as I write.
And this can get me into trouble by virtue of backstory. I discovered after it was pointed out to me that I started the story 'at the beginning' (my words), but I needed to start my 'story within the story'.
This time it really felt RIGHT! I'm happy with how it is going.
And you know what the saddest part of this whole topic is? I can spot backstory from 100 pace--just not in my own story. Not many of us can. We are simply too close to the subject. So thank those crit partners, the mentors, the contest judges, and even Mom for pointing out the honest truth that your stuff stinks because it isn't telling the story that is really happening because it's bogged down in backstory.
What is the highest number of pages have you deleted because of backstory? Mine's 50.
Write on!

2 comments:

  1. I have a lot of backstory for my characters, but I'm pretty good at starting with action. In my last book, at an editor's suggestion, I had to go back and show the characters before the first scene. She was right. So Chapter One became Chapter Two.

    Good luck on your revisions. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Sherrilyn Kenyon's blog, and she just tossed out 500 pages and started over on one of her books. 500 pages! Talk about dedication. I don't know how many I've tossed out. In my first book, I know I tossed A LOT!
    But you go girl! Sometimes it just has to be tweaked to be the best it can be and I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.