11/20/08

2009 ABNA Amazon Breakthrough Novel

Normally, I plan to blog on M-W-F unless something interesting comes up.
Well, something came up. :-)
Amazon and Penguin are hosting the second year of Amazon's Breakthrough Novel Award. I entered it last year and they sent me a link informing me of it again. The odds are slightly better than winning the lottery or Publisher's Clearing House. A one in 5,000 chance isn't too hideous, and it does get your story out there to the masses. But, personally, I think it is a HUGE time suck. You have to be willing to spend writing time networking to get votes (ie popularity contest). I'm pretty lazy in this respect. I was never popular in school, what makes me think this will change now? Nothing.
X person will vote for you if you vote for him. Well, I've read some of the people soliciting votes and they have zero business even entering this contest. I'm sorry, but I won't compromise my values to play that game. If you suck, I won't vote for you, but if you are a friend and I actually like your stuff, I'll vote and comment. Last year, they had better prizes. Maybe they are simply waiting to announce the prize list.
Will I enter something? Probably. Last year, I entered a romantic suspense. This year, I'll probably enter my urban fantasy. My last ditch effort to sell this puppy. Yep, I've generated more rejections with it than with all the other manuscripts combined. Sad thing is that I think it's my best writing yet, exhibiting my style and story in the best light. *sigh*
Another reminder that everything in this biz is subjective.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I understand your frustration. At the same time, seeing that your blog states you are 'a unpublished writer' and not 'an unpublished writer' gives a hint as to why you might have other frustrations as a writer.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.