11/19/08

Advice to the newbie

I found out a few days ago that my niece has started writing in her free time. Of course, I sent her an email, but haven't heard back from her yet. My brother, her uncle, is the one who sent me a note about her endeavors, and here is one of his comments, "Perhaps you can share some lessons learned that she need not suffer through, unless this is some necessary rite of passage for any author to be any good at all." I thought his comment was funny as hell, though I don't think he meant it to be. Yep, if I'd been drinking coffee when I read this the spray would have ruined my monitor.
Writing is a tough biz. 90% of the population wants to write a book. 10% actually starts writing a book. 1% finish a manuscript. And less than 0.01% actually publishes a book.
well, crap, I was cleaning up my blog and deleted the rest of it. Guess, I'll have to try to remember what I was going to say, other than AARRRGGGHHH!
In the current economic downturn, very few publishers will want to extend contracts to untested debut authors. Oh, there will be a few, but you have to remember they are only going to bet on the sure thing, the guaranteed money makers, such as celebrities. And you have to remember that mid-list authors will be fighting for what little money is available, and they are already a proven entity.
Use this time to hone your craft, learn all aspects of the business, research your story, and discover your writing voice. Finish that manuscript and start another, and another, until you have more to offer when you get picked up.
Write what you love, because your passion will shine through.
And remember, they aren't rejecting you, it's just business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my little blog.