3/11/14

Venn Diagram

Venn diagrams have long been used to show how certain groups can overlap into other groups.

For example:
 
This is a basic diagram, and one I'll be using today sans the letters. 

The question you might ask is why is a writer using a diagram like this? Especially a writer who is a very linear writer like me. 

Well, it started yesterday when I was walking . . . and finally caught up with Ron (An older gentleman who I sometimes happen to see on the path. Usually we simply pass each other going opposite directions, but yesterday, I caught up to him).

He asked about my writing and I told him I was beating my head against a wall because of this synopsis. I mentioned that I tend to think linearly, but this story was a little more convoluted in the mystery. 

And then I thought of the Venn diagram.

It could help me map out the the intersections of the story. I need to figure the connections, so I can scatter the clues in an appropriate way when I set the information in a linear fashion of story, Blake Snyder's beat sheet.
 
I've never done this before, and I have a feeling I'll be printing off many blank copies to scribble on them before I figure out the right combinations. 

So last night when I couldn't sleep, I thought of various scenes to help fill in the spaces. 

This is going to get good!

Later, Peeps! 

Oh, SUGAR PLUM DISASTER (Christmas short) is still available for free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my little blog.