8/31/12

Foodie Friday -- Chicken Piccata


I love chicken piccata. I think it’s the lemon part of the equation, or maybe it’s the tiny bits of salty from the capers. I don’t know what it is, but if I want a special meal this is what I make. Well, or the hubs will make, because he’s made this recipe for my birthday, mother’s day, or just because day. The only problem with his cooking for me is that I become his sous chef. I prepare everything ahead of time, ready to go in their little glass cups, and then I have to do the clean up . . . and there is a lot to clean up!

Things to remember:

--this recipe cooks quickly. Have everything ready to go, including your side dishes, salad, pasta, etc.  

Chicken Piccata


4 chicken cutlets
2 Tbls. vegetable oil
¼ cup dry white wine
1 tsp. garlic, minced
½ cup chicken broth
2 Tbls. lemon juice
1 Tbls. capers, drained
2 Tbls. butter
Fresh lemon slices, thinly sliced

If using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, then they need to be pounded thinly prior to cooking. Place chicken breast on plastic wrap, cover with another piece of plastic wrap, pound until thin cutlet. I’ve used a kitchen hammer to do this or bottom of a pot.

Season cutlets with salt and pepper, dust with flour, shaking off excess. Spray pan with non-stick spray, add vegetable oil, and heat over medium high.

Sauté cutlets 2-3 minutes on one side. Flip the cutlets and sauté the other side 1-2 minutes. Transfer cutlets to warm plate, and tent with foil.

Deglaze pan with wine and add minced garlic. Cook until garlic is slightly brown (do NOT burn) and liquid is nearly gone, about 2 minutes.

Add broth, lemon juice, and capers. Return cutlets to pan and cook on each side 1 minute. Transfer cutlets to warm plate.

Finish sauce with butter and lemon slices. Once butter melts, pour sauce over cutlets. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.

 

Enjoy, Peeps!  

 

2 comments:

  1. Never had this before, but it sounds good. And I like the pounding-the-heck-out-of-the-chicken part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;-) It's a good recipe, Marilyn! In fact after I found this recipe to post, I bought the ingredients since it's been a long time since I made it. Enjoy your whacking!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.