7/11/12

Weighty Wednesday -- Ramblings or Lagniappe

Two days ago, I knew what I wanted to blog about for today, so I didn't bother to write it down.

Yesterday, I  couldn't remember what it was.

Today, I'm going to simply ramble on and on, and maybe I'll hit a topic that means something to someone.

**********************************************

As you all know, though I'm a WW Lifetime Member, I still have to weigh in monthly to maintain my LT status and my free meetings and etools.

Well, hooey to that! To keep myself accountable, I have to weigh in every single time I go to a meeting.

Yesterday, I gained 0.4 pounds. I'm still within my goal parameters, but it was a struggle for the previous two days to get it to that point!

IF I HAD NOT FORCED MYSELF TO 1) GO TO A MEETING, 2) WEIGH, THEN I WOULD HAVE EASILY STARTED THE DOWNHILL SLIDE INTO GAINING WEIGHT!

 ********************************************

Our Tuesday AM meetings are usually pretty full, but not yesterday. I'd say we had about 1/3 of the normal crowd. I don't know if it was because of the July 4th holiday, or vacations, or what, but studies have shown that if you skip one time because "oh, I'll lose what I gained by next week . .  ." The odds are against you to lose that weight. In fact, many times you'll keep gaining and the vicious cycle will start again!.

Trust me, I know. I've been there. Which is why I will weigh myself weekly. And if I'm over then I'll pay the fine and do the time to get back to my thinner me!

It's all about accountability, people.

*******************************************

Yesterday, after my so-so weigh in. I gazed longingly at the jar of peanut butter. Instead I opened the jar of Nutella and took a nice scoopful out and proceeded to nosh on it.

Whoever invented the stuff works for the devil I say! It's EVIL!! Right up there with the Monster under the Bed! So good and decedent.

So what did I do?

Well, I taped up the jar of peanut butter, and then I proceeded to tape the jar of Nutella. I'm not talking that I put the jars into bondage. All I did was take painters tape (the blue stuff) and make an X over the top of the jar and onto the shoulders.

It won't keep me out if I'm determined, BUT it will make me pause and think about my choices. I've done this before with peanut butter (my personal challenge) and bags of chips. I just need another barrier to make me think about what I'm getting ready to do. Most of the time, I'll simply put the item back into the pantry and guzzle down a glass of water.

**Many times when you are trolling for food, you aren't really hungry, YOU ARE DEHYDRATED!**

  ***********************************

So after my almost tip-toe through the pantry, what did I do?

Well, I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies. From scratch.

Why?

1) it's been months and months since I baked anything . . . no, I didn't even need to look at the recipe. ;-)

2) hubby will take the rest of them to work. I have frozen baked cookies before, but I discovered that I like to eat them frozen = bad Margaret.

3) I refuse to buy the pre-packaged cookies in the refrigerated section of the grocery store--too tempting to eat raw, and too many preservatives.

So I enjoyed my afternoon of decadent behaviour of eating raw cookie dough and a couple of baked ones.

Did I count them? No, but I'm back on track today. And I'm good with it. 

 ***********************************

The problem isn't having cookies or chips or other treats. The problem happens when it becomes a DAILY treat.

I would much rather enjoy a couple of homemade cookies, or drive to Custard King for a small Butterball concrete as a ONE DAY treat instead of having them in my house tempting me for multiple days.

********************************

Yes, losing and maintaining a weight loss does take some self control, but you build that up over time when you learn about your particular challenges.

You might have to totally remove the food item from your house, or refuse to go to certain restaurants because you know you'll order XXX (insert favorite fat-filled, sugar-filled, large quantity item here), but you can do it.

I have faith that you can succeed, and I'll be right there with you!

Later, Peeps!

2 comments:

  1. How can you even tell if you've gained .4 lbs? that's like, four ounces. You could have four ounces of humidity in your hair or moisturizer on your skin. I would assume that a person's body weight naturally fluctuates throughout the day by much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't tell if you gained that little amount without standing on a scale, Jods. I weigh at my WW meeting in the exact same clothes at the exact same time that I do every Tuesday. I follow the same routine.

    Yes, your body does fluctuate throughout the day--as you know, I've written numerous blogs about this--but I know what I weighed and ate over the weekend. It's only 0.4 of a pound, but I know it could have been worse!

    Shoot, I've gained 5 POUNDS in a day, depending on my cycle and if I've eaten wheat products, so this little up doesn't really bother me.

    I just need the accountability with another place to keep me honest, besides if I'm 2 lb over my goal, they'll charge me . . . and I'm a total cheapwad!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.