6/5/12

Time to go Berry Picking!

Owasso Berry Farm
Today--after much ado and literally dragging the kidlet out of bed--we are going a-berrying! The berry farm we are going to is only about 30 minutes north of us with acres and acres of blackberries. This year they are supposed to have blueberries, too.
I'll see if my phone can take decent pictures, because I managed to gwark up the lens and now it fogs up.

Update:

After picking up hubster at the car garage and depositing him at work, we were finally on our way to Owasso Christmas Tree and Blackberry Farm, which is only about 30 minutes north of home. About two years ago we went picking and after about 15 minutes I had a whiny-whinster on my hands--this year was different.

We were prepared!

Ray-Ray picking berries
I had buckets and glove and a relatively happy kidlet. We arrived at 8 AM and there were already people picking.  The farm had received a government grant to establish trellises secure the canes upward, which allows more sunlight and air to circulate around the berries. The owners had
planted a thornless variety of berries called 'Natchez'.
Blackberry trellis

And they were DELISH! Big, juicy and sweet . . . I had to taste test them, yanno! We ended up with 8 1/2 pounds of blackberries. Now we are going strawberry, raspberry and blueberry picking on Thursday at a different farm about 30 minutes east of our home.

Whose hands belong to who?



I LOVE berry picking season!

Maybe we'll go pick peaches in Porter this year.

Later, Peeps!

2 comments:

  1. Here's how I pick fresh berries.

    Sleep late. Let my 79y/o mother go pick the blueberries. She washes and stems them for me and then hands them to me in a ziplock bag ready to eat.

    I like my system better. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the 'easy' way, Cyndi. *snort* Even easier is to buy them in bulk from Sam's Club, but this was more fun!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.