4/17/12

Microwave Popcorn

I awoke from a sound sleep at 1:48 AM.

Right out of REM sleep and in the middle of a dream of a banquet--that seriously resembled the swim banquet I had just attended--to the aroma of microwave popcorn--butter "flavored" popcorn.

Since the clock was right next to the bed all I had to do was tilt my head to see the time.

1:48

I was cozy. I was warm. I had found the perfect spot on my pillow. I so did NOT want to move.

Microwave popcorn is not known to be a quiet entity when one is making it. The microwave door opening and closing. The pops of the individual kernels.

There was only silence.

So I was also seriously freaked out.

My hubster was still next to me, so the only other culprit could be the kidlet. I listened to see if the kidlet was up gathering food in the middle of the night.

Silence.

The popcorn smell was still strong. I got up and went to the bedroom door to listen.

Silence.

I looked at her door down the hall.

Still closed.

I glance at the alarm pad next to the door.

Still armed. No one had broken in to make popcorn. Whew!

When I go back to bed, I stare at the clock for the next ten minutes listening, just listening.

Silence. The popcorn aroma is still strong . . . and no, it wasn't hubster's breath.

Somewhere along the way, I fell asleep to the smell of popcorn. The only thought that entered my mind was that possibly the hubster made popcorn when the kidlet and I were at the banquet. I vowed to check the trash for a bag when I woke up. I had already taken the trash out to the street for pick-up, so I knew there would be very little in the kitchen trashcan.

I awoke at a "normal" time of 5:45 AM. The smell of popcorn is gone. Once I'm downstairs, and before I make my coffee, I check the trash.

No microwave popcorn bag.

But I did kick one of Maggie's half-gutted dragon toys, which I had put up when we put the dog in her crate and went to bed . . .

Yes, this just happened.

And no, I have no idea what it means.

Later, Peeps!

9 comments:

  1. We have phantom cigarette smoke, my mother's Estee Lauder perfume, and 'voices.' I don't mind the above, but when I watch objects move on their own...
    Our house was built on top of Paradise (no joke) school. Gonna miss those 'chilrun.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've run into scents before around the house, Meg. I just have NEVER woken up from a deep sleep to experience one.

    I like to think it's a friendly entity, 'cause who doesn't like microwave popcorn??

    I just wonder who it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. Isn't that interesting.

    Here's what I think really happened...You were dreaming about popcorn (whether you remember it or not). The dream was so vivid that your mind couldn't let go of the smell even when you woke up.

    Or Maggie has learned to use the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for Maggie learning to use the microwave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *snort* You're probably right, Cyndi, but that doesn't explain how I smelled it ten minutes later right before I went back to sleep!

    I kept thinking the house was on fire and the stuff burning in the attic smelled like popcorn.

    Hubster was glad I didn't wake him up with my popcorn issues. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be a real trick for Maggie to use the microwave, Marilyn & Cyndi . . . first, she would have to figure out how to open the two latches on her crate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The spirit of someone who was a chain smoker frequently keeps company with me. I know he's present when I smell cigarette smoke with no apparent source. In my car. In the bathroom. Out in the middle of the field when I'm riding my horse. Normally, I don't care for the smell of cigarette smoke. But when I know it's him, I find it comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool story, Jods. I feel the same way. I don't mind the popcorn eater ghostie, I just wished I knew who it was!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should check out a reality show called "Long Island Medium." That chick is amazing. She could tell you who your popcorn spirit is!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.