11/11/11

Foodie Friday--Congo Bars (cookies)

This last week, I've been swamped with trying to figure out Saturday's presentation and doing 'stuff'. No, I have no idea what stuff I've actually been doing, since I didn't bother to write anything down on my goal's calendar.

 . . . oh, yeah, I was making candy. Oops, sorry, totally forgot that. I used the fillings that I had frozen last year and made candy for the audience at my presentation, plus I volunteered to bring something to parent/teacher conference night.

So I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head until I thought, CONGO BARS!  This recipe is vastly reduced from the original. I was given this recipe by the cooks at St. Francis Hospital. See? Not all hospital food is nasty!  I guess it helps that it was the employee cafeteria, too.

I will mention that it's been YEARS since I've made this recipe, so you might want to keep an eye on it from about the 30 minute mark as it might need to cook for as long as 45 minutes.

Congo Bars
1 box yellow cake mix
4 oz. butter, room temperature
3/4 cup pecans, chopped
1 large egg

ICING:
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 egg
16 oz. cream cheese, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Coat 9 X 11 pan with spray vegetable oil. Mix first 4 ingredients, place in pan. Mix icing incredients and spread over first layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until inserted knife comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my little blog.