11/7/11

Focus Stealers

Almost a year ago, Susan Shay invited me to give a talk at the RWI--Romance Writers Ink--meeting. She vaguely mentioned the words, "talk about REJECTION." I take offense at the R word, especially in relationship to the publishing business.

Being rejected makes me sound like I'm a total loser, because, yes, I have gotten a lot of rejections over the years. But dwelling on the negative doesn't do anyone any good. Rejection happens in this business, but that shouldn't be the focus of a talk. Shoot, I've thrown writing craft books away because they talk about nothing else except the negative, "don't do this" or "don't do that".

And besides, what would I say about rejection?

"Get over yourself." That's it. Trust me, I've cried, complained, whined, etc. over each and every rejection that I received. And what has it done for me? NOTHING, except make me want to give up.

But real writers are nothing if we aren't persistant. Learning craft, learning the business, writing and moving forward are what real writers do. We take those rejections, learn from them and move on.

Fast forward to August 2011, Susan wants a bio. So I write a short and long one. She tells me the topic has something about writing through adversity. And I putz around for another 2+ months (Halloween) before I hop over to the RWI site, and find out the topic is really called, WRITING THROUGH THE TOUGH TIMES.

Oh, fizznuts, now the topic is so broad that I don't know where to even start. I knew I needed to organize my thoughts before I settled down to design a talk, but how?

Every Wednesday I eat lunch with the hubby, so I asked him. He suggested I use the term used by managers, called FOCUS STEALERS. I started thinking about this and how it could relate to writing.

I could do this.

What are FOCUS STEALERS and how do we learn to refocus on our writing. Okay, got it.

Now all I need to do is figure out power point. Insert super fast tutoral by my hubby and I'm on my way. I now have some slides with the points I want to make.

Is it perfect?  No.
Is it finished? No.
Is it organized? No.
Have I timed it? No.

But I have the main points down and all I have to do is tweak them.

Shoot, I have plenty of time. I don't have to speak until 1 PM on 11/12/11.

So, if you are interested in meeting me, or listening to me talk, or even be in the same room with a bunch of introverted writers, or if you simply have a Saturday afternoon in Tulsa, OK, please stop by. The talk is free. And no, I'm not even pimping my books.

RWI meets in Room 110, North Hall Conference Center at the OSU-Tulsa Campus at 1:00 p.m.

12 comments:

  1. You'll do a great job whatever you talk about -- you're a natural at being in front of a group.

    I like the "focus stealers." I have a freaking lot of them in my life and I need to slay a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Marilyn.

    My goals are simple:

    Brain dump my info

    have fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the term focus stealers. That's what's invaded my house!

    Sorry I will miss your talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer, Meg. I wouldn't have expected you to come all that way just to heckle me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could be there! You'll do a great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Cyndi!
    I wished you lived closer so we could get together more often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to be able to hear your talk!

    Will you post the transcript online? Or maybe you can get Todd to video the talk and put it on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez, Jods, the thought never crossed my mind to take the darn thing!

    Er, I honestly don't see that happening, but wow, that would be fun . . . but then I'd have to actually "wear makeup".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never leave the house without makeup. You won't get any sympathy from me there. :) I wonder how much time over a lifetime that adds up to - 30-40 minutes a day in the bathroom on hair/makeup? Oh, some days I'll skip the hair part and just put a hat on. But I can't put a hat on my face, it makes it too difficult to see where I'm going.

    Maybe you could at least put a transcript of your talk up on your blog for us?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could give you the basic outline of my power point presentation, Jods. You'll read it and say, "yeah, I know that . . . and that. . . and that. . ."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you did a fantastic job, Margaret. Thank you so much!
    BTW: Your talk was Marilyn's suggestion, so I was scrambling to remember what exactly she suggested.
    I was so disappointed to have to miss it. I'd looked forward to hearing it all year, then at the last minute (okay, the last week) I found out I had to go out of town.
    I asked someone to take copious notes for me. I hope they did!
    Thanks again!
    Ps: Hoping to be able to Skype meetings in the future so maybe when I have to miss, I won't have to MISS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Susan!

    I was totally bummed that three of my fave people weren't even going to BE there!

    But the RWI ladies welcomed me with open arms and that was nice. I garnered a few yawns and blank stares (I deleted those slides), and there was furious scribbling during some of the sections. I'm sad to say that I talked OVER an hour (not too surprising if you happen to know me!) and managed to lose my voice by the time I drove home.

    It was fun and now I have another topic for my Writing 101 section of my website.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.