10/28/11

FOODIE FRIDAY-- Lemon Krackles (cookies)

I have been busy baking over the last three days. I made a pumpkin cheesecake that I cooked as a custard and spooned in little plastic shot glasses over a gingersnap crust, and then placed a layer of sweetened sour cream on top. It still had too much of a bite, but when I nuked it in the microwave, my plastic cups started to collapse. I'll work on it in a week or so. I know enough about what I want to do to make it work.

Thursday, I wanted to make lemon cookies (new recipe) that I could glaze and draw a witch on a broom--it didn't work out. The cookies were lemon crackle cookies. Hmm. The cookies are for a Halloween party Friday night.

What to do?

I nixed the original idea, for now.

And decided to call the lemon cookies, Goblin Brains. Goblins aren't known for their intelligence and they are cowards, which explains the yellow brain . . . right? So then my thoughts morphed to Brownie Snot, Faerie Poop, Elf Guts and Banshee Heart. On Thursday, I made all the dough and started baking. Goblin (lemon), Faerie (pink and purple mint) and Brownie (chocolate, of course!) cookies are done. Today, I'll make Elf (snickerdoodle cinnamon) and Banshee (ginger spice).

Here's the recipe for Goblin Brains, okay, you can just call them Lemon Krackles.
Lemon Krackles

1 pkg. lemon cake mix
2 cups Cool Whip
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup powdered sugar, to roll cookie dough

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine dry cake mix, Cool Whip, and beaten egg in large bowl. Stir until it’s well mixed. It will be very sticky.
Drop by teaspoonful’s (I use a small cookie scoop) into bowl of powdered sugar and roll to coat the cookie dough. Place the coated cookie drops on greased cookie sheet, 12 cookies per sheet.
Bake the cookies at 350 degrees F., for 10 minutes. Let them cool on the cookie sheets for 2 minutes, before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.

Yield: 4-5 dozen. Store in airtight container.

Enjoy your Goblin Brains . . . er, Lemon Krackles!
Later, Peeps!

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I love making cookies from a cake mix.
    Thanks for another delicious recipe. Made your chili last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have used cake mix with the Brownie cookie! It's good, but not as tender as the lemon ones, AND I still have Cool Whip in the fridge!
    Glad you enjoyed the chili recipe, Meg! I use the Pendry's Top Hat chili powder mix. Pendry's is a Texas-based company--good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I never expected a shortcut recipe from you. Sounds like something I could do. LOL. I've never made cookies with a cake mix before, either.
    Gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I have a few shortcut recipes, I just don't use them that often.
    Remember this is from the cook who screws up Jell-o!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.