9/9/11

FOODIE FRIDAY--Breakfast Apple Cake

Today I’m posting another breakfast item. I cut this recipe out of the newspaper in 2007--I actually wrote the date on the silly thing this time! Yay! And I have “Rachel loves it!” written on it. So if you have kids who are finicky, then this recipe might work for you!

I ran it through the Weight Watcher points plus recipe cruncher, using Splenda instead of sugar--the numbers are the same. Remember one of my blog posts where I said it didn’t matter if you used zero calorie sweeteners your body still gives the same insulin push? Well, the WW conversion proves that is true. So this has fewer calories, but your body will react as if it has had a shot of sugar.

I lightened up the original amount of butter by substituting half with applesauce.


Breakfast Apple Cake

1 cup Splenda
1 cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt
¼ cup butter, melted
¼ cup applesauce
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans)
2 ½ cup peeled and chopped apples
1 Tbls. vanilla

1. Mix together Splenda, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
2. Add melted butter, applesauce, eggs and raisins
3. Fold in nuts, apples and vanilla
4. Pour into 8 x 8-inch greased square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Easy-peasy--enjoy!

2 comments:

Welcome to my little blog.