8/17/11

Setting up Blogger as a Website

A few weeks ago, my friend Amy Atwell asked if I would write an easy how-to article for her new Author E.M.S.  The topic was setting up a blog and turning it into a website. She said that she liked the clean lines and look of my blog. *how sweet* Okay, she was probably blowing smoke up my butt, but it worked!

I said yes, before I realized what it would entail. I thought, sure, easy-peasy. But that was before I remembered that I originally set up this site in 2008. Let's just say that was about four years ago. A lot has happened in four years.

I started writing the article and about page five of an outline, I was on the ledge ready to jump. I called Amy to see if she could talk me down.

Of course, she was eating a late lunch with her hubby and wasn't home.

So I walked away to finish laundry and ironing. By the time she called back, I was in control and knew where I had gone wrong. Talking to her for about five minutes help solidify my thought process and I started fresh the next day. I finished my rough draft and let it percolate over the weekend.

There were a LOT of words on those pages. I knew it was a lot of words. I needed something to break up the monotony. So I learned how to paste a screen dump into a document.

I was so proud of myself! So when hubster comes home, I'm bragging about it, and he comes over to my computer and says, "Everyone knows all you have to do is press Alt C Prt scrn."

Uh, no they don't. Only techno geeks know that stuff! Totally took the wind out of my sails, let me tell you. *grumble, grumble* I'm still ticked at him for this!

I finished the project. Tweaked the key words in the tutorial with color appropriate bold.  Verified that the screen dump is in a location that makes sense--of course, it's MY blog screens so I get a little free promo there. And sent it on it's way.

If asked, I would probably do it again. After all, everyone could use a little free promo.

If you want to know how to do it, just ask me or better yet. Click on Author E. M. S. and check it out . . . when it's live, of course.

Later, Peeps!

4 comments:

  1. I have no idea what a screen dump means. I just tried alt+c+print screen, and nothing happened. I'll have to wait for your article to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No ALT or Print screen keys on MAC keyboards, so must be a PC thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edie--I basically had to pull up paint, hit prtscrn and then copy and paste into paint, then I edited it to clean up the edges.

    Jods--all I've used is PC's so have no clue about Macs.

    Meg--thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.