7/8/11

FOODIE FRIDAY--Broccoli Salad (side dish)

Here’s another quick and easy side dish recipe for summer. I have NO idea where I got this recipe, but I have a feeling I got it from one of my phlebotomy friends when I worked night shift at the hospital. There are all sorts of variations of it floating around the internet. Even people who don’t like broccoli tend to like this recipe since the dressing cuts the strong sulfurous compounds in the veg.

Broccoli Salad


1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets
1 lb. bacon, cut into small pieces and cooked until über crispy
½ cup raisons
½ cup sunflower seeds
1 small purple onion, finely chopped

DRESSING: mix together in separate bowl
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sugar
2 Tbls. vinegar

Toss broccoli, raisons, sunflower seeds, onion and ½ of bacon in sealable container (Tupperware/Gladware). Pour on dressing. Stir/toss to coat. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight, periodically mixing to redistribute dressing.

Sprinkle with reserved bacon prior to serving.

 And there you have it--another quick, easy AND make ahead side dish!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. One of my favorite salads!!!
    Thanks for an easy recipe!
    Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hubby's favorite salad and I didn't have a recipe for it! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Something so easy, even I can do it.
    Can you give me an alternative for a dressing that doesn't use mayonnaise or sugar? What else do you think would taste good with it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No idea, Jody. You could try honey instead of sugar. I'd suggest lemon, but the vinegar is an acid already in the emulsion.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.