6/27/11

Writing and Weight Watchers

I'm happy to say that my first week of Weight Watchers wasn't too traumatic. For one, the program changed and now allows a different point calculation system, along with most fruits and veggies being worth ZERO points. And then they also raised the lowest amount of points allowed, with the points being calculated from some complex formula involving, carbohydrates, fat, fiber and protein, whereas it used to be calculated with calories.

I knew being accountable for everything I put into my mouth would be key for me. It makes me think before I take a bite. I had one big day last week as it was my wedding anniversary--19 years--and we ate at a very nice restaurant, Fleming's Steakhouse. Yes, I had to pull from my weekly allowance of points, but it was worth it.

Oh--and I also lost 6.6 lbs.

So what does Weight Watchers have in common with writing?

The journey.

With both of these journeys there are many similar hurdles: highs and lows, frustration and exhilaration, boredom and excitement.

As a writer, you are also held accountable for the words you put on the page. The words should weave a story simply by your word choice and how you put your sentences together.

Writing and weight loss are tough, but so worth the end point satisfaction.

And don't you ever think that either one is easy.

Because they aren't.

Later, Peeps!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Margaret!! You're steam rolling ahead with both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on Weight Watcher's. I'm still on the same plateau that I've been on for months. I keep losing and gaining the same 5lbs. One week I can say I've lost around 25lbs, the next week, only 20lbs. But, at the same time, I've slacked off and need to get back to it 100%.

    And writing is a very good analogy.

    It's a journey. You learn something each step of the way, or you should.

    If you don't give 100% to it, you're not going to succeed.

    And there are some very high highs and some very low lows with each.

    Congrats on your 6.6lbs. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Meg!

    As I commented on my goals loop--I'm almost 50 and I didn't like the fit of my birthday suit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Lissa, I have been there before! This is the 4th time I've done WW. I usually fall off the wagon when I'm on maintenance and never go back to the meetings.

    I won't allow it to happen this time. My kid is 10, almost 11, and I don't want her to yo-yo like me, which is why I'm cooking better and more well-rounded meals.

    For the most part, I knew the first week would be a gimme weight loss. Simply drinking lots of water, walking, and WRITING DOWN EVERY MORSEL THAT ENTERED MY MOUTH makes a huge difference.

    Yep, that's a biggee for me. And I have to go cold turkey on my trigger--peanut butter--and curtail my cravings, which hit about 4:15-4:45--I'll make a glass of water w/crystal light flavoring and chug it.

    My suggestion is to start writing everything down again. Start measuring and weighing your portions. And change up your exercise habits.

    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very proud of you, Margaret! Keep with it! Remember that exercise is just as important a piece of that puzzle, too. Before too long, youll be feeling better and you'll actually be wanting to stay the course. My issue has always been exercise. Overall, I eat relatively healthfully, but I end up being too lazy to exercise. I've been making a sincere effort at exercise, and I've lost 10 lbs. since school ended. Everybody has their weakness to be sure! Congrats on your loss so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Liz!

    I know the first week was a fluke and I'll have to work hard to keep going.

    Just walking briskly is a change, so that helped the weight loss. I'm walking the school while the kidlet is at swim camp. No idea how far I walk, but I can do 4 circuits in about 32-35 minutes. I could add another circuit, but I do want to see how she's swimming. :-P

    Next week will be tough--no swim camp, so I'll have to come up with something else. Maybe I'll actually go to the gym again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I imagine it is very tough to stick to a strict eating regimen when a) you love to cook and b) you have a family to cook for, and they don't necessarily want to eat the way you're eating. But, you're the boss in the kitchen. Remember the saying: I always offer my family two choices for dinner: take it, or leave it!

    Maybe not cooking and not having anybody to cook for has been one of my keys to staying slim? Because I've noticed that when I spend time around people with different eating habits, I slip in to those habits as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The family is benefiting from this too, Jods. I make stuff and they don't like it--well, too bad so sad.

    Everyone is losing weight.

    I needed the reality check that one big meal costs lots of points, which means I had better be choosy about that meal. It doesn't mean I can't splurge on something evil--I just can't do it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woot on the WW!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.