5/20/11

Lindy's New York Cheesecake

I was trying to find a ‘healthy’ recipe to post, but then I thought, “Pffft!” and decided to go with my strength—desserts. Yes, my friends, I will post my famous New York cheesecake. Okay, I didn’t come up with this recipe, but I’ve made it numerous times over the years.In fact, my old night-shift boss, Richard, PAID me to make this cheesecake for him--and yes, I saw him wolf down 1/3 of this calorie rich dessert. As much of a sweet tooth that I have, I couldn’t have done it myself.
Okay, many people think cheesecakes are hard to make. They aren’t. Simply have everything at room temperature. And FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. This recipe calls for a high baking temperature for a short time, but then the temperature is turned very low to finish the baking process.Other cheesecake recipes call for a water bath, while other recipes require many layers of foil around the outside of the pan. Follow the recipe directions.

Lindy’s Famous NY Cheesecake


CRUST:
1 cup flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. freshly grated lemon peel
½ tsp. vanilla
1 egg yolk
¼ cup soft butter

FILLING:
5 (8 oz.) pkgs cream cheese, room temperature, Philadelphia brand
1 ¾ cups sugar
3 Tbls flour
1 ½ tsp. freshly grated lemon peel
1 ½ tsp. freshly grated orange peel
½ tsp. vanilla
5 eggs, room temperature
2 egg yolks, room temperature
¼ cup heavy cream, room temperature

CRUST: In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla. Make a well in the center. Add yolk and butter. Mix with fingertips until dough leaves the side of the bowl. Form into ball. Wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate 1 hour. Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Lightly grease bottom and sides of 9-inch springform pan. Remove sides. Remove 1/3 of dough from fridge. Roll out directly on bottom of springform pan. Trim dough even with edge. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden, cool. Divide remaining dough into 3 parts on lightly floured surface. Roll each part into strip 2 ½ inch wide. Press strips to side of pan, joining ends of strips to line inside completely. Trim dough so it only comes up ¾ of side. Refrigerate until ready to fill.

Preheat oven to 500 F degrees.

FILLING:In large bowl of electric mixer, combine cheese with sugar, flour, lemon and orange zest, and vanilla. Add eggs and yolks one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat only until mixture is well combined. Add cream, beating until combined. Assemble springform pan. Pour in filling. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 250 F degrees. Bake 1 hour. Cool in pan on wire rack, then refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a good cheesecake eater but not a good cheesecake maker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Just have everything at room temp, Megs! Trust me, it's easier than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try this one, too. The thing is, I don't like cheesecake -- used to love it, but at some point in the last 5-10 years, I lost my taste for it. But I've always wanted to make a really good cheesecake, just to say I can.

    I'll have to wait for the next family dinner so I'll have someone besides Bob to test it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's a very rich cheesecake. I haven't made it in years myself. Maybe it's time to dust off the recipe again.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.