5/25/11

In Tribute to the Critters in our lives

Pets enter our lives enriching and enhancing our day-to-day living. Some are service, hunting or work animals, while others are companions to the elderly or disabled. Most of them are simply pets.

Our family has run the gamut of critters. Pre-marriage, I owned two Great Danes and two horses, plus Kato Kitty. My husband was raised with schnauzers, guinea pigs, and baby turtles that were found in their swimming pool, though I believe there were other little critters, too. Together we owned one more horse, two bunnies, two Old English Sheepdogs, two guinea pigs (one still alive), a plethora of Siberian hamsters (had two, then the babies came! Three batches of them--no, it wasn't on purpose!). And a gazillion fish--some indoor, some outdoor. We actually had a beta live for four years!

Every single animal brought something into our lives. One of the bunnies lived a very short life after getting a disease from it's mama. I had to give the baby daily shots, but when it started having seizures while I held it . . . well, it was horrible. I never want to go through that again.

Evil momma hamster was a good mother even if she would chomp a finger just because. One time she bit me and my reaction flipped her up in the air, off my finger and she ping-ponged behind the bookcase where we had her cage. She was still stunned when I snatched her up and threw her back into her cage. Daddy hamster was really nice until he developed a tumor and died. Of course, the evil one managed to live for another year or so.

We have a small pet cemetery in our backyard. Harry (guinea pig) and Katie are buried next to each other in a garden bed that I can see out my kitchen/writing window. I plan to bury Kato (he's being cremated) in the back bed under a couple of pine trees. The baby bunny is buried near the corner of our deck.

Our first house also has a pet cemetery--hamsters and bunny. Luckily, I never had to bury my horses--they were sold--because a backhoe would have to have been rented!

Animals will always be in our lives. Yes, they can be a lot of work to train, feed and groom, and costly to take to the vet, groomer (Hubby clips our furry beast) and feed.

But the little buggers are worth it . . . even if they do fart under my desk and gas me out.

Later, Peeps.

8 comments:

  1. I have Maggie's ashes sitting on my desk. I can't seem to part with them.

    All my other pets were buried when they died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that I can see their graves from my window . . . well, sort of, right now, the roses are going nuts and before that, it was the irises and peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've gone with cremation on ours, too. The ashes are in matching wooden boxes on the bedroom fireplace mantel. It's just comforting toknow some part of them is here with us.

    I can't imagine living without pets. They're just that important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my pets. The two dogs I have now have been the first animals I've been really attached too. Except for my horse. I cried for days after I sold him. :(

    I can't imagine my life without dogs.

    So sorry about Kato, but I know she was really sick. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went with the plastic boxes, since we knew we were going to bury them. Having a third party deal with with body takes some of the stress away. I know I would have been a basket case if we had to bring Kato home and immediately bury him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried when I sold Buster, Ash. I think part of my sorrow was due to the fact I never got to say good-bye or have one last ride--It was January and the stable didn't have an indoor arena. Three weeks later, the next thing I knew he was in Kansas City and the girl was vetting him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post! Losing them is the hardest thing about owing critters. I've cried for almost all of them, except the mare that knocked me out. I was happy to get rid of her!
    I buried Zoey on our pond dam. Working on making the best resting place possible helped me. Not sure what we're going to do with Carly when that time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt the same way about Abe, Meg. He taught me a lot about riding, but damn, I hit the ground so many times with him!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.