4/18/11

Merging Characters

I am so not happy.  I wrote this entire blog and then *poof* the silly thing disappears in cyber space!  Arrggghhhh!!  I KNOW this won't be the best blog I can write . . . because I already wrote it!
--sometimes I hate blogger!

I spent the last couple of weeks merging two characters. Why would a writer do this?

Well, there are many reasons.  First, the character isn't pulling his/her weight. Second, they aren't moving the story forward. In other words, they are simply superfluous. 

When I finished my final edit of GNOME, I had to come up with a series name.  I didn't have a name.  I didn't like my first ten ideas, but then I came up with THE GOBLIN'S APPRENTICE.  I had to make the goblin appear in the first book--oops.  He didn't show up until page 50 of FAERIE.  It wasn't hard tweaking GNOME, but cleaning up the mess in FAERIE was a nightmare. Two weeks later, I managed it!  Yay!
I spent the last couple days re-editing the first 60 pages of FAERIE (again!) to get rid of the clunkiness of the writing.

But the worst is over and I can continue editing to have FAERIE up and ready to go by May 1.  I just hope my artist has a cover for me by then . . . she's suffering some issues, too! 

Pushing through . . .
Later, Peeps.

6 comments:

  1. Way to go, Margaret!!!
    What a good idea...you are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I feel like a slacker. I must do more. Instead I'm going to nap. My animals got me up too early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably wouldn't attempt this again, Meg. I really didn't have a choice since GNOME was already out--it was the trickle down effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Edie! Now that I'm coming down to my deadline, I'm starting to sweat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't creating such fun??

    On the other hand, wouldn't it be cool if we could rearrange real life the way we do our books?

    I can't wait to read the next one and to see the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, but sometimes those pesky characters are just as contrary as real humans!

    This story is exciting me again, Marilyn, so I know I'm on the right track.

    --I'm with you--I can't wait to see my cover! Currently have NO CLUE what Laura has come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.