4/15/11

FOODIE FRIDAY--Almond Ham Roll-ups (Appetizer)

I’ve had this recipe for years, over 30 years, and I believe I have made this recipe (or forced my nieces or nephew to make them!) virtually every single Thanksgiving.  Okay, I might have skipped one or two along the way, but these are awesome bite-sized pieces of party food.  Easy to make ahead and cut when ready to serve. I’ve also stream-lined the process after many years of making them. And if you don’t know me very well, let’s just say that my goal in life is to be as efficient as possible, not for the sake of efficiency, but so I can goof-off . . . though I never told my bosses that. Trust me.

Almond Ham Roll-ups


1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese (Philadelphia brand), softened
2 Tbls. mayonnaise
1 tsp. instant minced onion
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp dry mustard
¼ tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. Tabasco sauce (I really don’t measure this—just shake in the heat)
1 Tbls. finely chopped toasted almonds (toast blanched/slivered almonds in pan, then run them through a small food processor or coffee grinder before measuring)
1 12 oz. pkg thinly sliced boiled ham (rectangular, @ 3 inches x 6 inches)

Combine all ingredients except ham, stirring until blended. Place ham slices with edges touching on paper towels, pat dry with more towels. Spread mixture on ham slices until covered. Roll up in jellyroll fashion, starting at short end.  –at this time, ham rolls can be wrapped in plastic and frozen for up to one month. Thaw at room temperature for 1 hour before serving. Cut each roll into ¾ inch slices.

Makes 5 dozen

2 comments:

  1. Another recipe I'll add to my list! Thanks, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good fallback item, since you can make it ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.