3/18/11

Mom's Pancakes

And just in time for Saturday morning, my mom’s pancake recipe. Though this is my recipe, I think that I’ve made it only a handful of times in all the years that I’ve been married (since 1992). This recipe easily feeds three with a few leftovers.  Double ingredients, if needed.

Pancakes

1¼ cup flour
2 ½ tsp. baking powder
3 Tbls. sugar
¾ tsp. salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
3 Tbls. butter, melted

Heat griddle over medium-high heat, until a piece of white paper turns brown.  Sift dry ingredients together. Beat egg; add milk. Stir into dry ingredients. Add melted butter, mix.  Ladle pancakes onto griddle, making them about 3 inches in diameter. When pancakes bubble, flip them and cook on the other side. 
While cooking pancakes warm maple syrup.
I do make a blackberry sauce that's awesome, but I wing it, too.

Blackberries
Sugar
Cornstarch mixed with a little lemon juice
Cook blackberries and sugar with a little water until mushy, about 15 minutes.  Add small amount of cornstarch mixture to thicken.  Pour mixture through strainer, squishing the fruit against the sides to remove the seeds and skins. Pour into a squirt bottle and use it for pancakes, waffles, ice cream, etc. Store remainder in refrigerator.

Cook sausage or bacon to round out the meal.  It adds protein and fat, which stays with you longer than just the carbohydrates from the pancakes and syrup.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my little blog.