2/4/11

Snow-klahoma, Where the wind come sweeping down the plain!

5 trashbags are the red up front. 3 ft drift in front door
I'm totally snowbound to my house.  We have been for days now.  I know you northerners just laugh at us, but we are so NOT prepared for this quantity of snow.  Oh, we have about 30 sand/salt trucks and the city outfits plows on the regular city trucks, but this 14-21 inches of snow in one day is ridiculous!  At the most we'll get 5-6 inches and it's usually melted in two days. Not this time around.  This stuff will be here awhile due to the sub-freezing temperature, plus they are expecting a few more batches of the white stuff.

At our house we had about 14-15 inches of snow, while my bro who lives 20 minutes north had the 21+ inches.  Along with the snow we had serious winds, resulting in some amazing snow drifts--even some in my attic (the wind blew it UP into my attic).  In fact my kid was sledding down one of the drifts in the yard!  The kidlet and dog were frolicing (I usually say running around like idiots, but my dear hubster must constantly correct me and says it's FROLICING) in the yard--I'll post pictures after I download them.

Clothing-wise,we're more prepared than the average Oklahoman since we go skiing every year and we have the heavy coats, pants, long johns, snow boots and numerous pairs of gloves, etc. I've run the dryer so much over the last few days . . .

We have enough food to last a good long time.  Oh, we'll run out of the fresh stuff in a few days, but they can just deal with it.  I'm excited that we never lost electricity since we didn't get much ice with all the snow.  Ice is the death of powerlines, it's the weight of the ice that snaps them.

AND of course the hubster and kidlet are home.  Hubster has been sick with the flu most of the week, but did go to work yesterday.  Today, he's staying home to work on employee evaluations.  Kidlet is out of school, though we went to the school (it's behind our house) to sled (they have an okay hill) and they are out the rest of the week.  And unless we get some warmer weather to melt this stuff, she might be home on Monday, too.

And me?  Well, I'm working on my plan B.  I came up with a great series name (after many, many duds) for my Kyte Webber books, GOBLIN'S APPRENTICE.  I love the title, but this also entails some rewriting to get the goblin in book one.  I had one character that I didn't really like--I felt he was superfluous, so now I'm combining my goblin into that character and it gives him more meaning.

BTW: I HATE editing!  One chapter, edited twice, four hours!  And this was the 7th or 8th go around on this story! I hope the rest of the book will go smoother, but I don't know.  One perk--it's a short novel and the pain shouldn't last too long.
 
I'm consulting with my wonderful cover designer, Laura Morrigan, about the series and how to play the look out to the rest of the stories. There are a few things that are consistent throughout the stories and she's trying to figure out how to work it into the theme.

So there you have it for today.  With luck, I'll get chapter two whipped into shape and maybe chapter three--Here's hoping!

Later, Peeps!

8 comments:

  1. I have the same wonderful cover designer. :) Aren't we lucky?

    Sounds like a great plan for your goblin books. You go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried to guess how much we got. It's almost to my knees in most places, so it's TOO MUCH. I went out yesterday to shovel a path in the driveway. If it lasts too much longer, I'm going to be a very grumpy elf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Edie! I'm so excited about writing now . . . if I can survive the stinkin' edits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's up to our knees, too, but then again, my knees are a bit lower than yours, Marilyn! :-) I walked outside today and it isn't bad. 23 degrees is so much better than 10!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margie, I wonder if you remember the Pony Club horse show one March at the Tulsa Fairgrounds.....it was 70 degrees and sunny on Friday, and by Sunday there was a foot of snow and ice everywhere. We had to leave the horses at the fairgrounds for several days because we didn't dare try to put a horse trailer on the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I remember, Jods. And then there was that clinic in Jenks when we got 6-8 inches. I don't remember the name of the stable, but you had to drive up a steep hill to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that too--- and remember another clinic at the fairgrounds the same week I got Murray when it was 8....yes, 8....degrees....with snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brr.. . I don't want to think about how crazy those horses will be when they finally let them out.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.