12/6/10

How did you do with your 2010 goals?

I was at a bit of a loss as to what to talk about today, so I blog hopped . . . and I still didn't get any lightbulb moment ideas, but then I started thinking about GOALS. 

I know this is a hectic season to think about goals--whether wrapping up your 2010 goals or thinking about your 2011 goals, but this is actually the perfect time to reflect.  Think of all the time you spend waiting in lines or sitting through numerous stoplights in backed up traffic.  Instead of getting frustrated use this time wisely.

If you set goals for 2010, how did you do?  Did you meet your goals?  Did you meet part of them?  Or did you take a 90- or 180-degree turn from your original goal?  If you did, don't worry about it.  Goals aren't static, they should be adjustable and fluid, undulating and changing according to what life throws you.

I always make a HUGE goals list.  Writing, judging, health, and family goals all mushed into one sheet.  Some goals I met, some I didn't and I exceeded expectations on others.  All in all, I kept track of what I accomplished by forcing myself to record the books that I read this year.  Every time I opened the document to write the title/author/genre/date down, I was forced to acknowledge my goals.

As of this blog post I wrote on December 5, 2010, I managed to:
  • write three middle grade short story serial blog posts, Sugar Plum Disaster (I started writing it in December 2009, but actually finished it in January 2010--so I'm counting it), Lost Leprechaun Loot, Halloween Monster Mix-up--NONE OF THESE WERE PLANNED AND ON MY GOAL LIST
  • wrote two middle grade novels, THE FAST AND THE FAERIEOUS, and FOR WHOM THE BELL TROLLS (didn't plan to write this one)
  • edited two middle grade novels, TO GNOME ME IS TO LOVE ME and THE FAST AND THE FAERIEOUS
  • rewrote a picture book PIPER'S MESSY ROOM--didn't plan to do this one
  • had a goal of writing DEMON CONNECTION, marked out that goal in March, and started writing it again in October.  I'm at 28,000 words on a book I never expected to write.  Again, had the goal, changed it, but then started it again, entered it in 3 contests, got some good scores and an HM and it's sitting on an editor's desk.
  • judged 8 writing contests, reading 43 submissions writing comments and scoring them.  Figure between 1-4 hours per submission, depending on the length and quality of submission. Yep, planned this one.
  • critted when needed, which was less than I expected--guess I scare everyone away with my lack of warm touchy-feely comments.
  • queried a gazillion agents with GNOME (rejected by many, requested by some), and started querying FAERIE--planned this one
  • read 50 books--well, I haven't hit this one yet as I'm on book 44, but I expect to read 50 by the end of December.
I didn't do so well with maintaining a healthy lifestyle and exercising, but I did succeed by having a blast with my daughter over summer vacation.  I also didn't attend any conferences last year.

See what I mean?  Fluid.  Life happens.  You aren't a failure if you didn't meet the goals you set at the beginning of the year.  Just sit down and take a good look at what YOU DID ACCOMPLISH. 

I think you might be surprised.

Write on!

4 comments:

  1. I don't even remember if I set a goal. Probably it was something like "write 3 books this year." Which I didn't reach, but only because my course changes. I did self-publish 2 books and 1 story, and I feel very good about it, though that was not on my goal list.

    Good for you for accomplishing so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the thing about goals, Edie, is that they must be fluid like your goals. Though self-publishing might not have been on your radar last January, you made it an accomplishment. Good Job!

    BTW: do you have any stats yet on your sales?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't set goals as I was overwhelmed with Don's life altering accident.
    The sad thing about not setting them was that nothing really got accomplished--except I survived the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did what you needed to do, Meg. That's all you can ask of yourself. Surviving is a good thing, plus you had a healthy Don and went on vacation to a beautiful location with good friends--it was a good end to the start of a bad year.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.