12/3/10

From Reading to Candy Making

Sorry, I'm a little late today.  Originally I was going to compare two authors, but I started reading another book and my thoughts about those previous authors flew out of the sieve that is my brain in December. Though I might write about it later.  Okay, I'll be the first to admit that the 1992 Mary Balogh book, A CHRISTMAS PROMISE is supreme!!  I bawled my eyes out, clutched the book to my chest and sighed.  That's what romance writing is all about! 

I decided for the good of all to take off the month of December.  My poor little mind is chocked full so much extraneous information that it would be counter-productive to try to write--though I would if I had a contract deadline hanging over my head.

I don't.  So I won't write.

I don't know about y'all, but I have Christmas decorating, shopping, wrapping and making candy on my mind.

Speaking of making candy.  I decided what I was going to make this year--and yes, it will be less than I made the last few years.  I pulled out my order slips from the previous years and checked them to see how much chocolate I need to order.  I order Merkens chocolate from Country Kitchen SweetArt.  Merkens chocolate is already tempered and it has a good flavor and texture.  It's the best stuff out there if you ask me.  The problem is that the prices have seriously increased for a pound of chocolate.  In 2006, it was $2.95 per pound.  In 2007-2009, it was $3.25 per pound.  And this year, $3.60 per pound.  *ouch*

So this year, I'm making peanut brittle, turtles and an Old English Toffee made with pecans.  These I'll bag up separately and then put them in a clear Christmas bag.  I had bought these bags over the years and haven't used them, so this year is the year to use up the supplies I already have.

Then comes the filled candies.  Last year, I had bought the wrong sized boxes, 1/2 lb size instead of the 1 lb size.  We ended up buying tins at Hobby Lobby, since it was too late to order the boxes.  Oops.  Which means I have 30 1/2 lb boxes sitting in the box with my candy molds.  These boxes hold maybe 8 candies without crowding.  Which means, I'm only making 8 filled candies . . . from a list of 18 truffle and caramel fillings that I've invented.

I immediately scrubbed my caramels. Not that I don't like caramels--I do--and I'm the Queen of having the perfect color on my caramels, but because they are a little more temperamental when filling the candies.  They are a little more liquid and when I put the chocolate bottom on the candies--the chocolate is heavier and it sinks into the caramel.  Temperamental.

I think I have the list of truffles that I want to make.  The first four are made with white chocolate and the last four are with a milk chocolate base.

Lime Gimlet
Limoncello
Chambord
Peppermint Schnapps

Black Forest (w/kirshwasser)
Whiskey Toffee
Grand Marnier

Now, I'm having a problem figuring out my last flavor and need your help.  Should I make:

Rum Raisin
Frangelico
Amaretto

Please comment and let me know which one sounds the most interesting.

Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. Hmm . . . I have a very pretty lipstick named Rum Raisin. And I like almonds -- that's what flavors Amaretto, isn't it? Frangelico sounds delicious, but I don't have a clue what it is.

    How's that for a decisive opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I don't know what any of those things taste like, I couldn't say. You might as well call them Gnome Nuts, Faerie Farts and Troll Droppings as far as my taste buds go. Hey wait.....that might be a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Jody's idea.

    I'll take a dozen Troll Droppings and 2 dozen Faerie Farts (I figured those would be pretty small) HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Marilyn! Amaretto is almond, but I don't want the dark chocolate to over power the flavor. Frangelico is hazelnut--another subtle flavor. IF you ever tried Nutella (chocolate spread near peanut butter), then there's your hazelnut flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, Jody and Cyndi, though you and I might enjoy a chuckle over the names of Troll Droppings, Faerie Farts or Gnome GNuts, I don't think my hubby's co-workers and employees would appreciate the humor . . . plus my family already thinks I'm crazy and I don't really want to push the issue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If your husband's co workers would turn their noses up at your lovely gift of delicious homemade candy because you chose to have fun naming them, then a) they are humorless avatars sorely in need of a soul and b) they don't deserve candy.

    You can send me theirs.

    How about some Sugar Plum Faerie Bombs too?

    Cyndi, I hear Faerie Farts are very low calorie! "Light as Air," is their advertising slogan, if I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm tempted to send some candy to you to see how the stuff ships, Jods.

    Here I was feeling like an unappreciated candy maker when my MIL handed me a tin to fill . . . not the one I gave her last year, but a bigger one. :-) I guess that I DO make a difference.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.