9/8/10

Project Runway Cat Fight

I'll be the first to admit it--I'm a closet Project Runway fan!  I love Heidi.  And I especially love Tim Gunn, though I think he would be horrified at my closet and clothing style. 

"What style?" you inquire. 

"Precisely," I respond. "I have none."

Anyhoo, the point of this blog is how a small group of designers have it out for Michael C.  They gritch (and yes, a substituted another word for the one I wanted to use) and groan about him, his lack of talent, his lack of imagination, lack of skills, blah, blah, blah.  BUT Michael C has WON the last two challenges.  And yes, I liked both products he produced.

So why are the others gritching?

It could be many things, but I suspect it's simple jealousy.  And instead of delving deeper in their own design aesthetics and improving themselves, they rely on breaking down the other person.  It makes them very ugly people.  I wouldn't want to hang with all that negativity, but I could see how easy it would be to get sucked into this mindset.

What does it do for them?  Nothing. I might admire some of their designs, but I doubt if I would ever hire them.  Who wants to work with a bunch of nasty, backstabbing know-it-alls?  I wouldn't. 

Instead of being nasty, they should be trying to figure out what makes the judges like Michael C's work.

Does any of this sound familiar yet?

It should.

I've lost track of the number of writers who gritch and moan about how so-and-so managed to write a best seller.  How many books they've sold.  How awful their writing is.  How they head-hop.  How they blah, blah, blah. 

As writers, we need to analyze (yep, gotta use the OTHER side of your brain, the non-creative side) what makes a book a best seller.  What makes that particular book appeal to a monstrous group of people.  The book may have flaws only a writer would nit-pick, but what really worked?  What did the author do to connect the reader to the story. 

Don't try to emulate the best selling writer, instead figure out what worked for them and, as Tim Gunn would say, MAKE IT WORK.

Only you have the vision for your story, but what can you do to tweak it to make it marketable?

Until later,

Write on!
(I'm currently at Disney World, so I won't be able to comment.  See y'all next week!)

3 comments:

  1. I'm a non-closet Project Runway fan. I've been watching the cat fight too. They are so mean to Michael. Gretchen and Ivy are the worst. They remind me of the popular-girl-bullies at school. (Though if there were any in my school, I didn't know about it.) After watching this, I wouldn't want any of them to be my designer.

    I'm glad they extended the show to an hour and a half. We're really getting deeper into the personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say, ENJOY DISNEY WORLD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might do very LIMITED tweaking to make a book 'marketable.' If I thought the tweaking actually improved my vision for the story, I'd do it. IF it was only for the purpose of appealing to the lowest common denominator, I'd decline. I'd prefer to stay true to myself and self-publish. Eventually the world will come 'round to noticing my stuff is GOOD, and I'll be referred to as having been "ahead of my time."

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.