8/10/09

Deadly Isolation

***FYI--I wrote this on Saturday. Today is a better day, but I thought I would still run the post. Life isn't all wine and roses. Though, at this time, I'd be happy if the Stag's Leap Merlot was bottled and ready for consumption.***

Ever since I expanded my writing into another genre, I've experienced a surreal isolation. Oh, it's probably one of my own making, but I don't know what to do about it.

When I started writing full time, I hit every emotion on the spectrum, thank you very much. I kinda like the stability of working in the lab--there is no rollercoaster. Stress is due to the enviorment, not emotional upheaval. Trust me, periodic stress is far easier for me to deal with than emotional whammies.

All I can say is that it's freakin' depressing! An I'm not usually the one to get depressed!

I try to be there for other writers when they need encouragement, but it feels as if I don't get any thing back. Silence tends to do that. Dropping out of sight isn't really the signal-- 'Help! I need some encouragement'. It gives the impression, 'Oh, Margaret must be writing. I best not bother her.' When the opposite is really the case.

My sis-in-law is a good sounding board, but she has her own life along with living halfway across the country. My family thinks I'm a nut job or they just make fun of me and my stories or try to ignore me, with the exception of my nephew Matt. He's the only one who actually asks about my writing. Now that's a great kid. He's off to college in a few weeks, but for a teenager who knows how to speak to adults--he's the best. I wish him well in college. He's a smart kid--I know he'll do good.

*sigh* I don't fit in the romance world since I started writing middle grade novels. And I joined a local SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) group for one session. Oh, they welcomed me into the fold, but I didn't feel like I belonged. Friendships had been forged and I didn't really feel welcome into that group. Again, that was my feeling, but it might not have been what was really going on.

Writing middle grade has opened my writing voice. I like who I am as a writer, but not everyone does. Out of 19 query responses for my middle grade novel, I have 16 rejections. Most of them were personalized, i.e. they actually used my name, instead of Dear Author, and they mentioned the correct name of my novel. Trust me, that is an improvement. I did get requests from 3 agents. All are for partial manuscripts--the proverbial foot in the door--stops the door slamming in your face, but it doesn't open any wider. And I have 29 pending queries, but it's still early in the game, only 3 weeks into the process.

--and I have to admit this is the first time I've actually had more than two people request my story! YAY!

While I'm thinking about my next middle grade novel, I'm writing a romance (17K words into it) that I started a year and a half ago. It's a brand new story, though the plot is still the same. This novel has a lot of potential, but I don't belong to a romance group thus no support from that quarter. Again with the frustration due to my own making. I need to finish this rough draft before I allow anyone to see it as I'm too susceptible to other writers suggestions--not always to the benefit of the story.

I belong to a wonderful goals group, but I try not to whine to them. Sometimes it happens, but I try to keep on topic. I know they would show support, but they have their own problems to deal with. Again, with my own personal brand of isolation.

All in all, I'm trying to write without a support group of any kind, but it's hard.

I know, I know it's time to put on my big girl thong and hike it up--but, OW!--Damn it, that hurts!!

I feel better just venting on this blog, so what's a girl to do?

Write on, baby, write on!!

10 comments:

  1. Margaret, big hugs! I hope this is temporary and you'll feel better soon. I get depressed sometimes, too. I so appreciate my wonderful CPs who help me through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Edie! I hate feeling like this--so I stole Thorin from Karin again.
    I think I have a new blog topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret I hear you, Sweetcheeks! I think some of it is hormonal, I think some of it *is* the isolation and I think some of it is the numbness of hitting your head against the same wall. no family support makes it that much more difficult.

    last week and the week before I spent buried in my office working like a mad woman on a proposal. almost at a desperate pace. I had a dear friend jogging right along side of me doing the same thing for the same exact reasons: survival in this crazy economy. I have different reasons riding me hard to stay in the game, the pressure sometimes is overwhelming and I feel the need to crash and burn. But I can't. Too many people depend on me.

    So, here's the deal, girlie. Keep Thorin as long as you'd like. Don't use him all up tho' coz one day, and hopefully soon, I'm going to need him back.

    hang in there, we're all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean by feeling that you give and don't get anything back. (One of my personal HUGE peeves is when well meaning people tell you they will absolutely do something, and then don't follow through - I'd rather they never promised anything in the first place). But you have to believe that good things will come back to you if you keep putting them out.

    You also have the right to drawn the line wherever you see fit. Saying "no" isn't such a bad thing sometimes.

    As for people not supporting you - I don't think most people have any idea what it's like to have something they are as passionate about as you are about your writing. They simply can't understand. And that is definitely THEIR loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, Karin! I know the pressure of writing changes forms, but still remains, after you're published. It doesn't get better, just different.
    It's a matter of muddling through it to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think non-creative people understand what it's like, Jody. I know I didn't before I started writing. We dump so much of ourselves into our stories, artwork, and other creative outlets that it's hard for us not to take rejection personally.
    You're a good friend, Jody, I'm glad I have you in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep venting to us and let us know when you have a blog we need to read for you. I get caught up trying to hit enough blogs and do any writing. Remind me! I don't mind.

    Don't know what I'd do without my CPs, even though I don't always like what they say or agree with it.

    I've been in a dry spell and need to be pulled or kicked out. My peeps will do that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey girl, all you gotta do is call!! And I'm there. :D I might not be the best, but I like to think my friends can depend on me. I know you've pulled my ass out a funk a couple of times, and I'd do the same for you. Summer is a hard time for me, but school hits this week and I'll have more free time. We can do lunch and gab all day, one day. We should even plan for it every couple of weeks. I think that would be cool!

    And remember, this to shall pass. :P I understand and feel your pain, girlie. Hang in there. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by, Ms. Mary!
    My blog hopping sucks up about an hour each day--even if I don't read all the blogs! I understand the time constraits. Writing must come first, then blog hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Kira! I know you would be the first one to help out.
    Notice how I had written the blog on Saturday, but didn't post it until Monday??
    Yeah, it's kinda hard to help someone who doesn't ask for it. :-P
    And I'll take you up on that lunch date!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.