1/23/09

WoWWiki

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I'm severely lacking in the imagination department. Not in the story idea area, but in the supernatural critters that I invent. Guess I'm more of a visual person in this respect. And since I can't draw worth a darn, I had to go looking for inspiration somewhere.
I discovered WoWWiki
Talk about an awesome website! I scrolled through the drawings of the monsters and make up my own monster by using them as an inspiration. Using them would cause all sorts of copyright problems, but I do use their images to stimulate my own imagination or put a face to one of my secondary characters.
When I was writing Leprechaun Connection, I met a bunch of gamers at my niece's wedding. They are some of the nicest people around. The one thing they did was forced me to realize that when you are writing fantasy, it's MAGIC, NOT MECHANICAL.
Yes, I use this as a personal mantra when I start a new urban fantasy. I really love letting my imagination go, but I also love all the sites that help stimulate it.
Monstrous which takes you to Monstropedia is another one of my favorite sites.
When I wrote my Viking romance, I used The Viking Answer Lady a lot--loved her site!
What are some of your favorite research sites and why?
Write on!

2 comments:

  1. Great websites! I looked at the Harpy and was impressed. Then I went to the Viking Answer Lady and was more impressed. I don't write those kind of books -- yet. I never know when that might come in handy.

    I was researching extraterrestrial sites but didn't find anything that were as good as the ones you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the sites, Edie!
    If it hadn't been for the gang at my niece's wedding I don't think I would have even thought of checking out the World of Warcraft and other gamer sites. It was fun--I felt like a queen with a bunch of advisors!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.