11/3/08

The timer trick

Ah, once I finish tying up a few loose ends (getting the first load of laundry in the washer, heating up a cup of joe, emailing a rose reminder to my chapter, eating-because if I don't I'll faint from hunger or dive into the kiddo's Halloween candy) I'll be starting my timer set for 30 minutes.
Why 30 minutes?
Because it's doable. It might take the first 5 or 10 minutes to get into the groove, but BICHOK for 30 minutes--not a problem! When I tried two hours--hell, then I'm up and wandering around and wind up spending less than 15 minutes total actually writing. Whereas, I can do 4 30-minute segments, and really write for 2 hours.
After I write for 30 minutes, then I can take a 30 minute break: to read email, refresh my coffee, move the laundry to the dryer, etc.
Try it, you just might like it!

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, this is the ONLY thing that really works for me, besides meeting a friend at a coffee shop with no wifi (no email = way more writing for me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you're on. I'm off to set my timer! But Laundry? Please!!! :) Okay, I guess it's either or wash windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using a timer. I usually spend 45 minutes writing, then 15 minutes of speed housecleaning or take a brisk walk to get the blood flowing again.

    Great theme for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a winner schedule to me. I have an online sprint partner and we sometimes clock in at 45 minutes for up to four hours. I do slip away for pottie breaks and drink refreshing and maybe a snack, but at least I get some words on the page! We have had as many as four of us sprinting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am exactly the opposite. If I try to write for 30 minutes, I watch the clock and get nothing done. I like a minimum of four hours, but rarely do I get that. So, Im willing to give the timer a shot - but in one ho0ur icrements.

    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. Let me put the groceries away, and I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in training right now for work but I'll give the timer thing a whirl sometime this week. If only I can turn off email and spider solitaire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Where did this come from??? I didn't know you were blogging.

    I like your plan. I could do thirty minutes at a time!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.