11/10/08

the purpose of goals

One reason to have daily goals is to push yourself as a writer. Last week, I had a goal of writing 10,000 words. I made it to 6516 or 21 pages, still an admirable accomplishment. I allowed a couple of non-writing things get in the way, which prevented me from reaching my goal.
Some ideas when setting up goals:
1) make it doable, plus some more. For example, if you know you can write 3 pages in your allotted writing time, then shoot for 4 pages.
2)take into account your work/family life when setting your goal, whether it is a daily, weekly, or monthly goal. If you have a sick kid, full work week, appointments, etc. don't take away from family time to write. Family is important. Besides who needs to sleep?!
3)make it realistic. Don't have a goal that depends on anyone else. For example, becoming a NYT best selling author is entirely out of your own hands, but writing the best damn book out there is realistic.
This week, my goal is to write 10K, which means a daily count of 2000 words. So I better get started, since blogging doesn't count. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my little blog.