3/26/14

Weighty Wednesday -- It's hard, but worth it

If you saw my Monday blog post, you'll realize that I went skiing last week. I had really good intentions of staying on the weight loss track. I . . .

  • packed healthy snacks for the car (sliced apples, baby carrots and cheese sticks)
  • packed a tortilla roll-up for lunch in the car, instead of a hamburger and fries along the way
  • planned all our dinner meals, which included salads
  • planned healthy, protein-filled breakfasts
  • planned to eat salads for lunch up on the mountain
I did great on the drive and the first night. But things fell apart when I ate salad on the mountain on Monday . . . I had a very, very unpleasant Tuesday. 

I tried to eat well. Really, I did.

But it didn't happen as I envisioned it. 

We got home on Friday night and I weighed myself of Saturday AM. 

I do believe the words, "Holy Moly!" erupted from my mouth . . . or it could have been some other words that aren't PG rated, but who am I to say??

So, I focused. I planned to eat as many unprocessed foods as possible. I did cut most carbs out of my diet. 

*on a side note: Carbs are not evil. In fact, WW stresses the need for whole grains in one's diet. But carbs don't like me--I retain water when I eat them, plus they tend to make me feel dumpy/frumpy and all around blimpy, so I try to stay away from them. 


And I started my two-a-day walks. These double walks don't happen every day, but if I can get three a week, then I'm good.

And on Tuesday, I had weigh-in.

I LOST 1.8 pounds from the previous week's weigh-in, prior to the skiing debacle.

But if you count the weight I was the day AFTER vacation, then I lost 4 pounds.

Look, I hit my goal before, but as I've mentioned, life doesn't stop when you hit your goal weight. It's a constant challenge to maintain the correct weight for you.

And I had let myself go.

It happens. I have a long way to go to get back to my goal weight (16 pounds), but I'm on the right track.

If you've hit a bump, or mountain, on your weight loss road don't give up. Giving up will just make matters worse.

It's time to fight.

It's time to get back to basics.

If I can do it, YOU can do it.

Later, Peeps!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Margaret. I needed to read your blog. I feel as if I'm going backward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can inspire you to keep at it, Meg. To tell you the truth, I didn't care about my subsequent weight gain this last year UNTIL I tried to wear a pair of shorts.

    Reality check time!

    These shorts had been so loose the previous two summers, but now I couldn't wear them in public!

    I know what I have to do to lose weight. You know what you have to do to lose weight. Everyone knows the drill.

    The key is finding the one piece of motivation that makes you wake up and take care of business.

    For me, it was a pair of shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you weigh yourself so often? Once a week is plenty... otherwise, the normal ups and downs as your weight jiggles through the week will drive you nuts... just do the right things and stop trying to fudge the numbers... they are what they are... and, you look great in spite of beating up on yourself all the time over a pound here or there... use that as a mantra and tell that to yourself all day long... "I look great! I look great!" Losing weight is a journey but stopping along the way for self-abuse is hardly worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon--

    I don't consider weighing myself as self-abuse. When I hit my goal weight and maintained it for 8 months, I continued to weigh myself daily. When I STOPPED weighing myself daily, I started RE-gaining weight because I didn't have that constant number reminder.

    What I do works for me, it doesn't work for you. That's the key to weight loss and keeping it off is all about--You have to figure out what works for you.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.