11/6/13

Weighty Wednesday -- Why walk?

 
As y'all know, I love walking. Shoot, my walking pace is faster than some runners--I know because I've passed them on the trails. But I always wanted to be a runner.

1) you can cover the same distance in half the time.

2) you look 'cooler' running than walking

3) running shoes vs. 'walking' shoes

It isn't that I haven't tried running, I have. I just don't have the ability to run.

1) Breathing--I breath too shallowly to breath efficiently. It doesn't help that I have asthma, so when I breath too shallow, it exacerbates the situation.

2) I manage to hurt myself . . . every single time. If it isn't a pulled groin muscle, it's twisting my ankle or bunging up my knees

So I walk.

That is part of the reason I've successfully kept my weight off . . . well, except for the darn vacation pounds I gained in August and still haven't lost. . . . grrrrr.

The key is to find an exercise you enjoy doing, every day.

I look forward to my walks. Since I walk outside, I see the changing of the seasons. I hear a variety of birds throughout the seasons. I greet other bikers, runners and walkers on my trail.

It's my thing.

But if you enjoy shopping at the mall instead of nature, then go walk the mall. Make a point of walking first, then treat yourself to window shopping as you cool down.

Get into a habit of walking a certain number of laps and then challenge yourself.

Walk the same number of laps, but try to increase your pace for each lap. If you inadvertently slow down, you will know by your lap time.

1) increase your speed
2) increase your stride length
3) practice tightening your muscles
4) dress in layers

And just because you walk, you don't have to buy 'walking shoes'. Those things don't breath. They don't flex. And they weigh a ton!

Buy shoes that breath, flex and feel comfortable with an adequate amount of support. In other words, buy running shoes.

Dress in layers, especially in winter, because if you are working hard you will warm up and start sweating, which will allow you to strip off the outer layers.

And speaking of sweating, if you aren't sweating you aren't working hard enough!

So go out and enjoy the weather. I know I do!

Later, Peeps!


4 comments:

  1. I love walking! I started taking Boomer and he loves it too.
    I'm still battling shin splints.
    Thanks for the good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, on the shin splints, I've had them too--mainly when I did aerobics.

    I found that when my shoes are breaking down, my hips and shins will get sore and it's time to change shoes.

    I also found that metatarsal inserts are very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the map my walk app that you recommended and love it! When I see my weekly stats, it challenges me to keep up to the same distance or to exceed it. When I started I was doing 1 mile and now I'm up to 2.5 with a goal of 4 miles. I walk 4 days a week and try to get a 5th day in at any distance for a bonus to myself. I must admit it is a lot easier to hit the goals now that the temps are below 100 and better yet in the 70's, the summer heat positively saps me. I do have a tendency to look down a lot, watching out for snakes here in the desert, but I like walking in the dirt where I can to make my core do a little more work. So thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, Nancy!!

    I'm so excited for you. This is exactly why I post these blogs.

    I like to try to beat my pace times. Usually my first mile is somewhere between 14 and 15 minutes, but I'm always surprised when I have a quick first mile of less than 14 min. My goal is to increase my pace until the consecutive miles are between 13 and 13.30 min/mile.

    Some days are better than others, but it always gives me a challenge.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.