7/15/13

Injection Day!

YAY! . . . not.

You got it. . . it's a truly terrifying day.

Though I'm putting on a happy face for my family, I'm finding the idea of some doctor injecting my spine in my neck kind of creepy-scary.

I wished I had taken a picture of my MRI to show you what it looked like, but I didn't.
After plodding around on the Google Images site, I found a few examples.

This is a normal MRI of the cervical (neck) spine area. Not my neck.

This next MRI is similar to my cervical spine picture. Also NOT my neck. The bony parts of the spine are jutting into the spinal cord area. Part of my problem is my previous ruptured disc, and continued concussion on the area, resulting in degenerative disc issues. There is also a spinal stenosis, which is a narrowing of the spinal column. This tends to squish everything, resulting in numbness, tingling and pain.
To my knowledge of the procedure, the spine doc is jamming a large, pointy object (big A$$ needle) into one of those spaces and injecting some sort of cortisone-type fluid to decrease the inflammation, which should take care of the problem for now.

Uh, from what I remember on my MRI . . . there wasn't much room to maneuver around in there.
Again, creepy-scary.

So, after this cup of coffee and a banana, I'm fasting for the next 7 hours. Fluid-free in another five hours. Luckily, they'll be giving me an IV that will sedate me for a bit, along with helping me forget what's going on.

My shot is scheduled for 2:30 and I plan to be out of it the rest of the day.

Maybe I'll read.

But then I won't remember what I read, will I?

Guess I could just watch TV when I get home . . . most of what's on right now is forgettable anyway.

Later, Peeps!

4 comments:

  1. Hope your doctor had a good night's sleep and loves Mondays!

    Will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doc was pretty perky--he'd just returned from Orlando. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I'm late, you are still in my thoughts and prayers. I cancelled my appointment to do the same thing. Too chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're still having issues, Meg, you might want to reconsider. Granted, I had a funny doc who gives the shots, but has also received the shots, which made me feel better.

    I think it helped to realize that they only use needles to pierce the skin and then flexible catheters to place the medicine.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.