6/26/13

Weighty Wednesday -- It's a Mental Game

Look -- we all know what we have to do to lose weight.
  • eat more fruits and vegetables
  • drink more water
  • eat less protein
  • eat less fried food
  • eat less refined sugar and flour products
  • less salt
  • exercise more
It isn't that hard when you see the list, but there is one six-pound item that stops use every time

OUR BRAINS

And no, this is NOT an attack by zombies . . . braaaaiiiins . . .

If you aren't "In it to win it", then you aren't playing the game right.

I had this epiphany at this week's meeting. My brain was telling me that I'm in maintenance mode and not losing weight mode. I was eating to maintain my weight.

And being very successful at it, I might add.

Yes, it's only five pounds, but if I don't do something different about it, then what do you think will happen?

Nothing.

That's right, NOT A THING. I will remain at this weight and I might even gain MORE weight.

When I first started WW, I lost four pounds the first week. And for the most part, I lost 30 of my 45 pounds rather quickly, within a few months.

I was in game mode. The coach had my back, and I gave 100% mind and body to the weight loss goal. I measured. I weighed. I walked. I planned meals. I had a goal.

Wait . . . what was that last one?

A goal.

Oh. I need a goal. Long term goal is to reach my healthy weight range and stay there. But I needed a goal to get over this next hurdle. So I made one up.

By the time school starts in August, I want to be back at my goal weight.

That's doable, right?

But not if I don't change some of my slacker eating behaviors it won't be doable.

Look, I'll tell you right now that losing this 5 pounds will be hard since I have to think about food and plan my meals. This is something I obviously haven't done in awhile.

Now, I have a goal.

It's a modest goal, but it's a goal I can achieve IF I CAN WIN THIS MENTAL GAME.

We'll see what happens at next week's weigh-in.

If what you're doing isn't working for you as you lose weight, YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR BEHAVIOR.

That is all there is to it. Simple really.

The question becomes, "Are you really in this weight loss game 100% or are you all talk and bluster?"

Let's go, people, you can do it!

Later, Peeps!

4 comments:

  1. Were you a cheerleader in high school? You do it well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ms. M! But nope, no cheerleader. I worked through HS and didn't have any time for extracurricular activities. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you say to eat less protein in order to lose weight?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating huge quantities of protein will lose weight if you go on the Atkins diet, but over time, it's detrimental to the health of your kidneys.

    Personally, I can't do the Atkins diet for more than three days. It's too much for me, but what it does is help you stay full so you can break yourself of the carb habit.

    Most of us eat too much protein--as in meat--daily. For my size, I try not to eat more than 3 oz of meat, which is smaller than a deck of cards. Some days I don't even eat meat.

    But I also get protein from Greek yogurt and skim milk or a hard boiled egg, just not meat.

    The balance of foods from the WW program is easy for me to live with. I think the key is what works for you. If you aren't losing then it isn't working.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.