5/31/13

Foodie Friday -- Banana Nut Bread

Yeah, yeah, don't fall off your chair just because I'm finally posting a Foodie Friday blog post.

It all started when I bought a bunch of bananas. And they ripened. Quickly, too quickly. I had four that were seriously overripe and I needed to do something with them. Previously, I would peel, slice and freeze them for smoothies, but I didn't want to have a bunch of bananas in the freezer.

So I dug out my mom's banana bread recipe.

Besides, I wanted to try out my Mother's Day gift--Temp-tations Bakeware.

Here's the recipe:

Banana Nut Bread

2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
2 eggs
3 Tbls. sour milk or buttermilk
1 cup mashed bananas
2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Thoroughly mix together sugar, shortening and eggs. Stir in milk and bananas. Mix dry ingredients together and stir in. Blend in nuts. Pour into well-greased 9 X 5 X 3 inch loaf pan. Let stand 20 min before baking. Bake 60-65 minutes at 350 degrees until done.

Hints & Suggestions:
  • check for doneness by inserting toothpick into center of loaf. Gooey on the toothpick means it needs to cook longer
  • spread the raw dough to the edges, indenting the center--if you want it to be more even than the poofy one I turned out.
  • my loaf pan was slightly smaller than the recommended size--adjust the cooking time, as needed
  • Other fruit can be used: apples, finely diced, or canned pumpkin, but you might want to add spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc.
Enjoy!
Later, Peeps

1 comment:

Welcome to my little blog.