10/12/12

Foodie Friday -- Skillet Hash

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I had leftover meat and not a whole lot of options. Well, when I was looking for a recipe, I remembered this one for Skillet Hash. It's originally from a Betty Crocker cookbook and I've used this recipe numerous times when I've had left over roast beef.

Skillet Hash
2 cups chopped cooked beef
4 small potatoes, cooked and diced (about 2 cups)
1 med. onion, chopped (@1/2 cup)
1 Tbls. snipped parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup shortening

Mix beef, potatoes, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Heat shortening in large skillet over medium heat until melted. Spread beef mixture evenly in skillet. Fry, turning frequently, until browned. 10-15 minutes.

 
Hints & suggestions:

·         Oven Hash--Omit shortening. Spread mixture evenly in greased 8 x 8 baking dish. Cook uncovered on 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
·         My beef is already seasoned, so I will taste it before adding the additional salt and pepper.
·         Can easily double the recipe, but you might need two skillets to cook them in or work in batches.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I had some leftover ground sirloin I had to use. I was hamburger pattied out. I was home alone so it was whatever I wanted. I had NO ideas. Looked online and made this. Was wonderful.

    about a pound of hamburger browned.
    28 oz can of baked beans.
    1/3-1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
    Mix together.
    Put in over dish
    Cover with grated cheese
    Bake 30 min at 350 or so.

    EASY and good.

    Now I need to think about tonight's dinner.
    I have a pork loin in frig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and the next time I made this, I left off the cheese, cut refrigerated biscuit in-half, laid those on top and baked. Good but I liked the cheese better

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.