9/19/12

Weighty Wednesday -- Activelink

I was going to write different post, but I thought this one was more current.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Weight Watcher's Activelink. This is a handy-dandy little USB  that also contains an accelerometer chip that gauges all the movement you make throughout the day.

The old calculation method had its flaws. For example, walking. We all know that I enjoy walking. Well, the calculation measured any pace between 3.0-5.0 mph the same. So if you are a fast walker (me) you are sort of penalized.

So the Activelink measures everyone individually.

You can clip it to a bra or shirt near your heart, or hang it on a lanyard, or clip it at your waist. You just have to tell the system which one you choose because it calculates it differently. It also takes into account your weight, age, sex and height to calculate activity points.

Then the 8 day assessment begins.

And no, it won't tell you how you're doing during this assessment, but you can get a general idea when you plug it in at the end of the day.

The purpose of this gadget it to stimulate you into moving during the low parts of your day, to get off your bum and walk around.

After my assessment, it allowed me to see my activity points. One day I actually logged in 17 activity points! That was a day that I walked almost 10 miles, 4 in the AM and 5.5 in the PM. This number was nowhere near the calculated values would have been!

Do I expect this to be the norm?

NO. For one, I'm not going to be walking twice a day when winter comes. It'll be too dark. I'll find something else to do.

But I do know that I can easily earn 6 activity points with my AM walkies and a little activity throughout the day.

Activelink also provides you with a challenge to consistently reach a certain level daily. It originally set it at 12, but I changed it to 10, which is still a challenge on the days I don't walk twice a day.

On Sunday, I was truly lazy and didn't walk. I almost didn't even meet my baseline criteria for health! And I certainly didn't earn any activity points!

It does cost a little every month to monitor the Activelink, but I think it's worth it if it gets me out of the desk chair a little more often.

Later, Peeps!

3 comments:

  1. Love this idea, Mags. AM going to check it out. Problem is...it will actually reflect what a slug I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking for a good pedometer. Mine died, and I can't find it online.

    Cynthia, I saw a pedometer not long ago that shows an animal to match your activity for the day -- a gazelle if you're really active, etc. They didn't have a hibernating bear, which is what I would need some days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cool thing about Activelink is that it's made by Phillips. Phillips also has a "Lifeline" product for older people and it can detect sudden movement, as in a fall, and can trigger immediate help for the person.

    Cyndi--We all have down times during the day, the key is to do a little activity so the down isn't quite a low.

    Marilyn--I've flushed more pedometers than I care to admit to. :-P The nice thing about this Activelink is that I can wear it on my bra. I put it on and forget about it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.