9/28/12

Foodie Friday -- Spicy Twice Cooked Beef

Last week, I was cleaning out my freezer and I found a couple of frozen steaks. They had been vacuum sealed, so they still looked okay, but I need more room for my candy stuff, which meant I needed to cook them.

Normally, my family likes and eats only filet steak--not because we're snobs, but because we aren't fans of the fat marbling most other types of steaks. So don't ask me why I picked up Sirloin Tip steaks.

I coated them in some Montreal Seasoning and grill them. We didn't eat them that night because we were enjoying some filets. So they sat in the fridge--and none of us are fans of reheated steak.

What to do?

Stir-fry, baby! Or hash, but I didn't have any potatoes. So, STIR-FRY, it is!

Spicy Twice Cooked Beef

Marinade:

2 Tbls. minced ginger root
1 Tbls. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, add more if want it hotter
1 cup teriyaki sauce
Add to the marinade,
1 1/2 cups of julienned steak* (@ one sirloin tip steak)

Mix well and refrigerate for about 6 hours.

1-2 Tbls. oil
1 Tbls. cornstarch
1/2 onion, sliced thin, crosswise**
1 celery rib, sliced thin
1/2 cup carrots, julienned
3 cups packaged grated cabbage

2 packs Ramen noodles, broken once and cooked according to directions without seasoning packet.

Heat 1 Tbls of oil in wok, or large skillet, on high heat. Using tongs, drain meat, and place marinaded beef in pan, reserving liquid. Add cornstarch to liquid, mix and set aside. Sear meat 3-4 min. Remove meat and set on plate. Add a little oil and toss in vegetables. Saute until tender, 2-3 min. Return meat to wok and add reserved marinade, stirring constantly until cooked down. Add noodles. Stir and serve.

Makes 2-3 servings

Notes and suggestions:
*julienne--sliced into matchstick-like pieces, about 2-3 inches long and 1/8-inch on each side
**crosswise--slice whole onion from top to root, pull papery skin back toward root. Lay 1/2 onion flat on cutting board and slice into half moon shapes about 1/4-inch thick.
--You can add 1/4 cup soy sauce to marinade, but if meat is already seasoned, it will make it too salty
-- recipe cooks quickly, slice all the vegetables ahead of time
--cornstarch will thicken the liquid without it being 'floury' and gummy
--can add more vegetables to stretch the meal into more servings

Enjoy!

Later, Peeps!




2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummers. I love stir-fries -- so easy to clean out the refrigerator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true, Marilyn! But I must confess that I usually don't have a fridge full of veggies, so I have to think ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.