9/14/12

Foodie Friday -- Gingerbread

When I posted last week's gingerbread truffle recipe, Marilyn mentioned that she'd never had gingerbread. After about 3 days, I realized she'd never TASTED gingerbread. Yeah, yeah, I'm a little slow. So I looked through the recipes I had posted and realized, I had never posted any gingerbread recipe.

And I have tons of gingerbread recipes, but I always go back to my mom's recipe. No, I have no idea where she got it, but I copied it over 30 years ago from her files, which means it was at least 30 years old at the time. I imagine she copied it out of Family Circle or Women's Day magazines. There are very few ingredients in this recipe and I had them all on hand.

If you expect this gingerbread to be sweet, you will be mistaken. Some recipes will top the gingerbread with a lemon powdered sugar glaze, but I like this straight up as a snack cake.

And I took pictures as I made this yesterday.

Gingerbread

1/2 cup shortening
2 Tbls. sugar
1 egg
1 cup molasses
1 cup boiling water
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together shortening, sugar and egg. Blend in molasses and water. Sift an stir in flour, soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Pour into greased and floured 9-in glass baking pan. Bake in preheated 325 degree F. oven for 45 to 50 minutes.

Enjoy, Peeps!

All the ingredients needed

greased and floured pan

flour mixture on liquid/shortening

Ready to pop in the oven

right before I popped it into my mouth!
 
 


6 comments:

  1. OH YUM! The reciped looks a lot like my grandmother's! So easy and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also good as a breakfast snack! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Margaret. Maybe I should have chosen my words more carefully. :)

    This sounds really good, and I think I have all the ingredients, too. I'll have to check the molasses. I'm gonna give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I needed to post this recipe in my files for the kidlet, so all's good.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.