8/21/12

Tinnitus

I have tinnitus.

Old people tend to get it, but sometime younger punks do, too.

Oh, what is it? Sorry, couldn't hear the question.

My tinnitus is a constant buzzing in my ears. My left ear is worse than my right. Sometimes the buzzing becomes a high-pitched whine. Every now and again, I can even hear my heart pushing blood through my body--this bothers me, since I suspect it's one of the signs of an eminent stroke. Luckily, my blood pressure is normal, but this does freak me out a little bit.

Personally, I think it's due to all those years in a lab listening to the machines and centrifuges whirring away.

I just started taking something that hopefully will make it go away. I'll let you know in about 6 months or so.

Later, Peeps!

7 comments:

  1. My sympathies. I can't wear ear plugs when I share a room with someone who snores (he shall go unnamed) because then all I can hear is my heart beat in whichever ear is against the pillow. Good thing it's beating, you know, but I don't need to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *snork* I hear you on the 'beating' aspect of the heart, Ms. M. I'm just tired of listening to cicadas all the time--even in winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu have a husband and a kid. Are you sure that's not where the high pitched whines are coming from?

    I have the high pitched whine in my left ear all the time. I don't even hear it any more - it's just white noise. This is the ear that tends to get wax buildup, and when I have it irrigated and cleared out the ringing diminishes.

    You're right that it sounds just like a cicada!



    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Jods!

    I don't seem to have a wax problem--doc checked my ears during a physical last year.

    The noise is getting louder and it's giving me headaches. I might need to see an ENT doc soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, MAGS! I hate anything that bothers my ears! Wearing a hood while diving dulls the underwater noise. But ringing....I'd go bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My ears rang for years...until I had my strokes. huh I didn't think there was a relation. My ears still ring sometimes but before, like you, it would sometimes give me headaches. But I had other symptoms off and on like extremely blurry vision. The doc told me it was migraines. Guess he was wrong on that one. :P

    I can so relate to how annoying. Used to drive me batty! Get it looked at my advice. I never did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg--As much as I enjoy silence while writing, I think the reason I like having the TV on as background noise is to keep the buzzing at a minimum.

    Good to know, Ash! It isn't the buzzing that is worrisome to me, but the sound of my heart doing it's 'lub-dub' noise!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.