7/6/12

Foodie Friday -- Applesauce

It's a sad statement about today's kids when they don't realize applesauce doesn't come in a jar. I found this out about a year ago when my daughter had a friend over and they were trolling for snackage. The little girl didn't know you can actually make applesauce.

As astounded as I was about this, my hubby told me that not everyone can cook, nor do they have the desire or the time to cook. *insert gasp*

But what do they do with apples that are starting to get a little soft, or mealy, or just taking up space in the fridge? Oh, I suppose you can make a pie, or strudel, or muffins, but applesauce is just too easy not to make. You need at least four apples, preferably green Granny Smiths, and sugar, water and cinnamon.

 Easy-peasy.

Applesauce

4 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped in ½ chunks
Sugar (Splenda works well, too), a Tablespoon or two, depending on apple tartness
Cinnamon, I didn’t measure it, but shook it heavily
Water

Place apples in medium saucepan; add enough water to come to the top of the apples. Place pan over medium-high heat and bring to boil. Cook apples for about 15-20 minutes, checking for softness and water level, add more water if apples are too dry.  While the apples are cooking, add sugar and cinnamon, stirring/tasting until desired color/taste.

When apples appear to be mushy smush apples into sauce using hand blender or potato masher. Taste for flavor and consistency.

Add more water, sugar or cinnamon, if desired.

If it’s too thin, then cook a little more water out.

*be careful. It’s thick and splashing apples can become like tiny napalm bombs*

 Enjoy those leftover apples!

2 comments:

  1. LOL about the kids. When we moved into this house, we had about 6 large apple trees. My mom loved apple butter and applesauce, and my oldest sister loved apple pie filling. That's when/why I learned to can. I couldn't let all those apples go to waste.

    After doing this for four or five years, I also couldn't eat apple butter or apple sauce for YEARS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about the HALF bushel of peaches that were processed! . . . And Todd did ALL the work!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.