5/30/12

Weighty Wednesday -- Body Image

I don't know about y'all, but I know I enjoyed my three days off over Memorial Day weekend. Hubby thinks I'm on vacation all the time, but not really as there is always little stuff to do to keep the house and family running smoothly.

Anyhoo, I enjoyed my weekend: food, drink, family and friends. There were some social gatherings: helping Grandma move her art studio stuff from one location to another. And some family time: experimenting with various rubs and sauces for smoking ribs. And friend time: Hey, Y'all! *waving*.  And during this weekend all of us ate and drank as we hung by the swimming pool.

Even though I KNOW I over did it (food and booze) this weekend, I still walked and I still tried to eat healthy--if not healthier, then just until I wasn't hungry any longer--but I did enjoy margaritas and beer.

Guess what?

I didn't gain any weight!

I didn't lose any either, but I'm okay with that, because I DIDN'T GAIN!

This was the first social occasion of the season that I wore a swimming suit. In the past, I've worn swimming suits, but this is the first year that my measurements are the same as when I got married (except my waist--it's 2" larger--go figure). I had to buy a couple of swimming suits.

I looked good and I felt good. Hubster calls me TB (teeny butt) now, instead of WL (wide load).

--No, he never called me that! I'm just embellishing here!

But the interesting thing is that I THINK I look the same as I did 45 pounds heavier even though I KNOW I'm wearing a smaller size and weigh less.

I totally understand anorexic people who think they still look heavy even though they aren't.

Weight loss is such a mind game. Sometimes your mind doesn't SEE the change. They key is to find some way to reset your thinking.

For me, it's the scale. I've always been a scale jumper and I'll die being a scale jumper. I want to know HOW my body's weight fluctuates throughout the day. This familiarity keeps me sane, while it would drive other people bonkers.

I know I'll never become anorexic because I enjoy my food too much, or bulimic--ewww!, but I will always have to be on the lookout for the weight gains.

Remember--body image isn't just about how you look on the outside, but how you feel on the inside. It's the stuff on the inside that gives you the confidence and attitude to tackle anything!

Later, Peeps!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I see the change in you!!

    Too true about the image. I had a speech impediment as a kid, and to this day (40+ years after completeing speech therapy), I can still "hear" how I used to talk, and certain words still make me self-conscious.

    Glad you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experience the same sort of thing in how I look - not with weight, but overall image. Some days I think I look awful and other days I think I'm cute. But it's the same face staring at me in the mirror. I also still expect to see the same face I saw when I was 25, and am often horrified at what I really see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. IThis is also a hidden lesson in how your mindset can affect your Mojo!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Marilyn! It's amazing how certain things tend to haunt us over the years.

    Jody--I feel the same way! About a year ago, one of my blogs was to ponder about when my "old lady" skin appeared! Sometimes it's better not to look too closely in the mirror.

    And MOJO is returning slowly . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just keep reminding yourself that the return of your Mojo is something YOU totally control. It's within your power, and no one else's. It's very empowering to know that!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.