5/3/12

The Chapter that would NOT end . . .

IS NOW FINISHED!

I still have the second half of the book to deal with, but chapter 7, Double, Double, Toil and Trouble, was a doozie! It's around twenty typewritten pages which makes it almost double most of my regular chapters. This chapter included using ideas from my original draft of TROLL, written TWO years ago, but updated and merged with the new beginning of the story.

I'm slow when working this way. I'm so doing just plain old edits because I'm rearranging, rewriting and reading it aloud. So many other writers that I know finish editing their stories in two days, it takes me at least two weeks--AND my middle grade stories are half the length!

Anyway, I'll find out how much editing I'll have to do when I get it back from my CP.  But I think it will have to stay like it is with minimal cutting. Be gentle, my Meggie!

This next chapter will also include melding of old and new words, but I don't think it will be as intense. . . I hope.

Part of the problem is that when I wrote the first draft of TROLL, I had just finished writing FAERIE, but all I had was a logline.

That isn't bad, per se, but I think the fast writing lost my character's voice. AND to top it off, I didn't get around to even looking at it for almost two years. The biggest reason for that was my decision to self-publish my middle grade stories, and I had to get them edited, formated, find a cover artist, etc.

But I'm back!

Today, I'm working on Chapter 8: Just one little bite . . .

Later, Peeps!

6 comments:

  1. I have the dead scene that WILL NOT END! On and on and on...give me a break. Sigh. I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you could tell it from Olivia's POV and have it all be a blur and the only thing she remembers is Travis's strong arm supporting her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will, MAGS, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how necessary it always is for me to read things OUT LOUD. The cadence and flow of the words can really make a difference between okay writing and fabulous writing. Trust me, you can tell when something is written or edited in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally true, Jody! Sometimes I have to reread a sentence numerous time to figure out what's wrong with it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.